The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2000, 10:59 AM   #1
Steve Smith

Ok, you guys know I'm going to start reloading for my M1A "loaded." I'm really going for accuracy here (plus reliability, of course). Should I use GI brass or commercial? Will it havee an affect on accuracy? If not, I'd guess the GI is better because it will last longer? Thanks in advance.
Old October 13, 2000, 11:10 AM   #2
Pampers

GI Brass will last longer IF:

You resize only enough to assure reliable functioning! DO NOT "crush the shellholder" as advised in the reloading instructions. Smoke the shoulder and adjust the seating die down only enough to "kiss" the shoulder. Now, see if the empty case will allow the bolt to close completely. If it won't, bump it a little more. When you're satisfied, load up 5 rounds and shoot 'em. If they cycle properly, you're set. If not, keep fiddling.

Leave some lube on the cases! Yes, I know that it's against the rules, but you're NOT loading Max loads (Unless you want to dammage your rifle).

By using the above methods, you should get 10 or 12 reloadings from GI brass. Follow the "rules," and the head will come off on the first or second reloading.

Now, seat the bullet (Sierra MatchKing, of course) as far out as it will go and still function through the magazine.

Good Shootin'

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle
Old October 13, 2000, 07:20 PM   #3
Gewehr98

I have to second Pampers' suggestion for not sizing the brass too much. I can't really neck size my .308 loads, because I run them interchangeably in a M14NM, BM-59, and 700PSS . I also don't squeeze them to death, only tight enough to fit the snuggest chamber of my three guns chambered in the round. I do, however, wipe down the brass, since I push my 155gr Palmas and 168gr MatchKings up there. I use Lapua 7.62x51 brass (from a Southern California police range, of all places!) Don't forget GI brass is thicker, and won't tolerate running as much powder as the more capacious commercial brass without showing pressure signs quicker.
Old October 14, 2000, 12:11 AM   #4
Steve Smith

Is there a percentage that I should "download" the military brass? For example, with commercial cases, most folks will take a max load (with known bullet and powder) and start at 10% lower than max, working up to the best accuracy. with the Military bras, should I start at, say, 15% lower than max?
Old October 14, 2000, 08:53 AM   #5
Pampers

Both Accurate and Hogdon list loads specifically for GI brass. Check them out.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle