The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1
JJB2

Wcc .38 Spl Brass?

this might be a dumb question but here goes.. i got some brass from a guy here in iowa awhile back and most of them were haedstamped WW for winchester western but there are several WCC and a year on em.. who makes this case?? thanks..

LIFE IS SHORT.................
Old February 10, 2006, 11:09 PM   #2
shooter_john

I'm not 100%, but I believe that is Western Cartridge Co. (Winchester) I have a lot of .223 REM brass that is stamped the same way, but it all includes crimped primers. Hope that helps. You might want to search the forums for 'headstamp'- someone a while back had posted a list of all known headstamps. Good luck!
Old February 10, 2006, 11:14 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

That's Winchester's headstamp for military contract ammo.
Old February 10, 2006, 11:29 PM   #4
gb_in_ga

Quote:
That's Winchester's headstamp for military contract ammo.
Yep.
It seems to work ok depending on the load, but it is not the same as "normal" civilian Winchester brass. I have noticed quite a bit of difference in case wall thickness between the military version and civilian version -- the case wall of the military version apparently "tapers" inwards, it is thicker towards the case rim, and causes problems with bullet seating when I try to load them with wadcutters. FWIW -- that is not the only type of brass that has that problem.

Anyway, as long as you don't try to seat the bullets too deeply, the stuff I've come across seems like good brass.
Old February 11, 2006, 01:54 AM   #5
JJB2

gb i noticed there was a difference in the cases but i thought it was just they were of heavier brass so i took my deburring tool and worked them over and finally got the case mouth flared enough to get a bullet started.....i still think they jay be a little heavier gauge brass....... i hope they crimp alright with my lee speed dies.........
Old February 14, 2006, 07:06 PM   #6
Russ5924

I got feed up and tossed all my WCC it was strange some years seem to work well and some years liked to stick in the sizing die.They didn't stick real bad but had to hit the handle hard to get them to release Got to the point wasn't worth it anymore