The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 2, 2000, 05:16 PM   #1
Joel Harmon

I have my order ready to go to Lee to get all of my reloading supplies. I am new to this but have been shooting for a long time. I read the book Modern Reloading by Richard Lee and still have some questions. I have to decide on something to deprime mil cases and something to remove the crimp (swag tool?).

I will be getting the pacesetter dies with the anniversary kit. Here are my questions:

1. Does the pacesetter die set only deprime commercial cases and not deprime mil cases?
Why?

2. What is the difference between the Lee Decapping Die and the Decapper and Base? Which would you recommend? The main difference I see between the two is the price.

3. After a mil. case is deprimed what is the quickest way to remove the crimp? Do I need another tool for that as well or will something in my Anniversary kit offer a solution.

Thanks in advance as I checked the archives and did a search and the information that I needed wasn't quite there.

Joel
Old October 3, 2000, 12:45 PM   #2
Bogie

The FL die will deprime commercial and military cases. You may have a problem with some military cases. That's when you grab the wrench, and move the decapper back to where it's supposed to be. I like Lee's decappers. The hammer method generally works too. I've personally never had much of a problem with military crimps.

I'd go for the decapper & base - You'll be decapping most of your cases when FL sizing 'em, so the decapper & base are just for emergencies.

I've used all sorts of things to try to remove crimps, and about the best gizmo is the RCBS primer pocket swager kit. Dillon also has a very cool swager. I've tried the Lyman dojigger which cuts the primer pocket to size, and it's okay, and okay when motorized, but hey - The swager is idiot proof.

Why are you planning on the Pacesetter dies? Are you loading pistol or rifle? If you're loading pistol, get the carbide dies. If you're loading for a bolt action rifle, get the Deluxe collet die set. Trust me.