The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2000, 11:48 AM   #1
Hip's Ax

Greetings, I uniformed 100 Lapua 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cases last night, chamfered & polished them and then primed them. I always run my finger over the installed primer to make sure that it is below the head surface, except this time the primers seemed a little deep. I know that 0.001" to 0.005" is the standard depth, mine are 0.009". I still haven't figured out what went wrong, I just did 200 M2 cases with the same tools last week and they were perfect. Will these cases fire in my M96 Swede? Thank You For Your Time.

------------------
"Where the Hell did that 8 come from!!?"
Old September 22, 2000, 03:42 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

If it was the same lot of primers, and they were not seated hard enough to crush them, it sounds like the pockets in the brass may have been cut a little too deeply. If they are not too deep where the firing pin can uniformly ignite them you should be ok. One or two things to watch for is if they are driven back upon firing they may look like an overpressured primer even with mild loads. One other thing is watch the firing pin marks for with a fairly warm load they may be easier to perforate than a primer seated at the right depth.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old September 22, 2000, 06:12 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Wow...Lapua the good stuff indeed.!!

I use PMC brass reloads and reloaded and standard milspec Norma in my 6.5x55mm ex-mil swedes for hunting and SSAA Military rifle match and I find that the strong standard firing pin/spring combo on the M96 action is more than enough for any seating deapth.

I believe that all primers of any brass should be seated RIGHT IN!:0

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old September 24, 2000, 07:19 PM   #4
bad4u

Generally, whether rifle or pistol, primers should be seated as deep as the primer pocket allows.

If not, firing pin energy may be lost in pushing the primer deeper - without enough energy left to reliably ignite the primer.
Old September 24, 2000, 07:30 PM   #5
mbott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Bunny:

&lt;snip&gt;
I believe that all primers of any brass should be seated RIGHT IN!:0

[/quote]

I believe CCI recommends .003 to .005 nominal for any of their primers.
Old September 25, 2000, 05:52 AM   #6
Big Bunny

mbott...would that recommrndation be for CCI in new cases only?
Or does the firing pin action on used brass especially "seat the primer right in" any way...or at least after one or two tries!!
Old September 25, 2000, 10:10 AM   #7
mbott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Bunny:
mbott...would that recommrndation be for CCI in new cases only?
Or does the firing pin action on used brass especially "seat the primer right in" any way...or at least after one or two tries!!
[/quote]

BB:
Since I don't have a copy of the 47th Lyman Reloading Handbook handy, I can't quote it, but I believe CCI's were supposed to be .003 to .005 below flush. I don't think a distinction was made due to brass age/use. Most others should be .003 to .007 below flush, IIRC.

Mike