The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2000, 10:06 AM   #1
rkmstr

I have been thinking about a power case trimmer. I reload 700-1000 rounds of 357sig a month and haven't been to concerned about length except I crimp into a cannelured bullet and I want to try and have my reloads more uniform.

Anyone use them and what make. I have a real good deal on a RCBS from a dealer who has had it for a while and wants to move it.

Gary
Old September 1, 2000, 10:31 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

rkmstr---

When my son told me he had ordered a Forster case trimmer with power adapter several years ago, I thought the money could have much better been spent on components and such, because I already had a Lyman manual trimmer. Well, I was mistaken.

When we got the Forster in operation, it was WONDERFUL to use. And, I understand the newer designs, like the RCBS, are even better.

I'd say, go for it, especially since you're getting a discounted price. You'll work out a rhythm as you get used to it, and your case lengths will be nice and uniform.

Best,
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old September 1, 2000, 12:45 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I have to agree with Johnny. A power trimmer is a worthwhile investment. I do not own one as such but have a Forster kit with all the goodies. Well being the old oilfield hand that I am, and anyone that has ever been in the oilfield knows that one of the "can't's" in the oilfield is if you can't jury rig you can't stay, it did not take me long to realize that if I used the 4 screw holes that Forster put on the base of the trimmer and screwed it to my bench and then unscrewed the handle off the trimmer and chucked the trimmer shaft to my 1/2 inch drill VOILA! A power case trimmer! It may be overpowered as all hell but talk about work! When it is time to outside neck turn cases it prooves its worth. Gary, my advice is get one!

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old September 1, 2000, 04:56 PM   #4
MADISON

When I was case forming for 357 Harrett I got very tired of cranking so I bought a LYMAN
Power [electric] case trimmer and it still does me a fine job.
Old September 1, 2000, 09:26 PM   #5
dongun

I removed the handle from my manual RCBS trimmer and ran a hardened phillips head screw into the shaft in place of the handle screw. I use my cordless drill to turn the shaft. It leaves a large burr if I have to remove too much, but works well for light-to-medium trims. This isn't as good as a power trimmer, but it beats cranking that handle manually.