The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2000, 10:05 PM   #1
kjm

I was going through my grandfather's collection of junk (he passed away last year), and I found a crate full of M-1 Garand clips full of spent 1959 Match casings, and some 1944 Lake city brass. Litterally thousands of empty rounds. I've been reloading pistol ammo for a long time, but haven't been able to accumulate enough rifle brass to make it worth while. Now I have plenty.
Can anyone direct me as to any different steps to take or stuff to order to start reloading the '06? I have a Dillon RL 550b. I haven't any case trimming equipment, or polishing stuff. Do I need it?
Old August 27, 2000, 10:11 PM   #2
Watchman

You 'll need a way to trim your brass so that when you crimp the bullets, they'll all have the same amount of crimp. THis is important to mnaintain uniformity in your ammo. I would order the 3 die set from Dillion and the conversion kit, if you dont already have the correct base.
The polishing isnt absolutley nessesary but it does make for a better looking product and is easier on the dies if the brass is clean.
Do you reload .45 ? If so you may already have the correct base so you could save some money there. If you arent sure you can call Dillion and they will tell you what you will need.
Old August 28, 2000, 09:49 AM   #3
sundog

kjm, the 44 brass (if original and not cleaned and reloaded) can be assumed to have had corrosive primers. I'm not sure I would use them if they have been stored many years after firing without having been properly cleaned. It's possible, but not probable, the 59ers may have also, but I doubt it unless they had been reloaded with corrosive primers. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to give them bath (after decapping) in soapy soda water, rinse, and dry thoroughly. sundog

------------------
safety first
Old August 28, 2000, 10:12 AM   #4
beemerb

KJM;
Remember that you are going to have remove the primer pocket crimp in order to reprime the brass.Normal on all mil brass.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old August 28, 2000, 11:28 AM   #5
Contender

Very good chapter on Primers in NRA's "Handloading".

Says LC 52 and later years is non-corrosive.

I would caution you with the earlier brass as it may be degraded due to internal corrosion of the case which can't be detected easily. Remember that you are dealing with a high intensity rifle round and you want the best possible case to contain all that pressure.

You are issued only one face.

The 1959 cases might be a better bet for reloading.

JMHO
Old August 29, 2000, 03:57 PM   #6
stuka762

That sounds like a great find but you should be searching for the rifle he shot it from.When my grandpa past on I cleaned out his shop and found 2 Civil war swords a Indian tomahawk and a war club all were authenticated as real.I had gone in that shop for years and never knew they were there.
Old August 29, 2000, 04:37 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Either get some extra pins for the de-capping die, or get a flat-ended punch a bit smaller than the flash-hole. The military primers' crimp can be troublesome, the first time around.

Also remember the case capacity is about 3 to 4 grains less powder than civilian; your max loads should be a grain or two less than whatever most books say.

Those Garand clips have pretty fair value, these days.

FWIW, Art
Old August 29, 2000, 05:17 PM   #8
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

The match brass does not have a primer crimp, it was only the regular military ammo that was crimped. The LC-44 was crossive primed and the LC-59 Match was not.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert