The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2000, 06:39 PM   #26
Chris McDermott

To WalterGall

On not running the primer system - a little hard to explain but easy to do.
To do the priming, you have to push the press handle past the "nuetral" position til the primer stop bolt hits the press's frame. Just stop moving the press handle when you reach the "neutral" position bringing the cenetr ram back down from the dies, and the primer feed stops advancing the primer strip.

Now if only someone could invent a system that disconnects the powder linkage once a charge has been dumped, then re-connects it when the shell plate is moved to the next position, we wouldn't have to worry about double-charging a round.
Old August 22, 2000, 08:31 PM   #27
WalterGAII

Thanks for the help on the priming system. I believe that the lockout die will solve the double-charging problem.
Old August 24, 2000, 08:48 PM   #28
Kenneth L. Walters

My experience has been the reverse. Thought the instructions were excellent. Love the strip primer system. Couldn't be happier.
Old August 24, 2000, 08:58 PM   #29
BIGR

Thats always been my biggest fear of a progressive type loader is double charging. I guess thats why I do it the other way for rifles and weigh each charge on scales. I will use a RCBS powder measure on the pistol loads to speed things up.