The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2000, 01:56 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

I've never tried it, but I was wondering, for those who do, is it economical? Is it only economical for reloading slugs, buckshot and heavy magnum or steel loads, or can you beat the prices of the promotional ($3) light field loads too? I've loaded rifle and pistol for years, but no one in my family has ever reloaded shotgun shells.
Old August 19, 2000, 01:02 AM   #2
bedlamite

Forget slugs, they're not readily available. Buckshot/steel can be done and they are cheaper than buying new, but large shot can be a pain to load. Standard 1oz-1 1/8oz trap/skeet/sporting clays loads can be reloaded for about $2.50-$2.80 per box, and I can load about 250/hr with my MEC grabber.

------------------
NRA, GOA
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"-Neil Peart
Vote in November.

[This message has been edited by bedlamite (edited August 19, 2000).]
Old August 20, 2000, 03:13 PM   #3
schlickenmeyer

Never compared to factory shot prices, I just buy a case on sale. However for slugs, $30 for a Lee II shotshell press, and $20 for a slug mould. uses standard AA hulls and wads, and Accurate #5 powder. shoot GREAT at 100 yards. Thinking of hunting with them this year. (Besides then you can load anything you want into a shotshell. fun.)
Old August 20, 2000, 08:01 PM   #4
Big Bunny

No, I agree the prices are very low for the typical factory clays fodder/ammo far lower than DIY and the need to reload is now low here too.
However, apart from the self-sufficiency angle, a better variety/quality can be home-made for some specific hunting tasks and the heavier buck loads/slugs can also be loaded in the field/camp in emmergencies with a 12GA Lee Loader (or even Load-All on a tail-gate).
Someone in our club even used the flat iron on his 4WDcar tow-bar for seating primers with the former tool and a heavy spanner, when he ran out of W30/30 after a bigger than expected 100 shot mad pig-shoot out west of here when all carried ammo was expended! The nearest store was 160KM away or 4 hrs over poor roads and their prices were X3 those on the coast.... or so he says !

If they ever ban reloading I will be glad to have my LEE tools handy.

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.