The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2000, 11:25 AM   #1
Grayfox

When I load, I usually make big batches of ammo. Generally 500 to 1000 rounds. So I buy bullets in bulk amounts from Winchester and Remington. But, the last couple of days I've tried to order .357 JHP and .45 FMJ from both Midway and Dillion, my two usual sources, only to be told they are sold out. What's more Midway tells me they don't expect any more until October?
What's this all about? Has anybody else run into these problems?
At any rate, I can skip the .357s for a while, but I've got brass preped and I need to make ammo for IDPA shooting. Can anybody point me toward some Winchester or Remington bulk .45 FMJ that won't cost a fortune or kill me with shipping charges?

------------------
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old August 1, 2000, 11:34 AM   #2
Bottom Gun

You may want to give Natchez Shooters Supply a try. (800) 251-7839, www.natchezss.com.
They don't have much of an online catalog, but call and ask them for what you want. They have a large complete catalog available and they also send out sales flyers every other month or so. They sell some components in bulk.
I've been pleased with the things I've ordered from them.
Old August 1, 2000, 03:16 PM   #3
Geldor1

Try www.montanagoldbullet.com
I have not used them yet, but I have talked to them on the phone. Others on TFL have praised their bullets. They manufacture all their own bullets.
Minimum order is 2000 pieces and shipping is included. I have also had the same problem with Midway lately.

------------------
Gun control means hitting your target!!!

[This message has been edited by Geldor1 (edited August 01, 2000).]
Old August 2, 2000, 05:30 PM   #4
DAL

I've experienced the same problem with Midway. In December of last year, I ordered 1000 158 gr. JHP .357 bullets, only to be told they were on backorder. I finally received them, IIRC, in March.

Midway's a great company to do business with, and their prices are usually hard to beat, but sometimes you need a generous helping of patience when dealing with them and their backorders.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

[This message has been edited by DAL (edited August 02, 2000).]
Old August 3, 2000, 11:38 AM   #5
Grayfox

I tried Natchez and they're out too. Seems that Winchester is changing their packaging to wholesalers. They used to ship them bullets in bulk amounts as big as 1 million. Now they've decided to split them up into smaller units themselves. Something seems to have gone wrong as nobody is getting any bullets.
Thing of it is, I already have a good load for these bullets. If I change to another brand I'll have to start over from scratch with load development. Right now I just don't have the time.
There's a gun show this weekend. I'll try to pick up a couple hundred to get by on until Midway is resupplied.

------------------
Old August 3, 2000, 04:13 PM   #6
Bottom Gun

You might try Wholesale Hunter
www.wholesalehunter.com
Old August 5, 2000, 06:28 AM   #7
Cougar

Grayfox,

How did you let yourself get so low? (Bullets, I mean. )

While I don't load in the mass quantities at a time that you do, I always have several hundred bullets around. Heck, I still have hundreds of bullets for calibers I don't even have anymore! I must have 300-400 9mm 115gr FMJ bullets and I got rid of my 9mm seven years ago!

As of this moment, I have 600 .38/.357 158gr SWC, 300 140gr JHP, 300 125gr JHP, and 100 110gr JHP. ... Then there's the .44 cal and .40 cal stuff! Sorry, I don't have any .45s (Forgive me Jeff Cooper!) ....And I won't even get into the powders and primers! ....Then there's the several thousand rounds of loaded ammunition.

Somebody help me....I've just realized that I'm a hopeless 'gun nut'!! (All together now)
Me: "Hello, My name is Cougar and I'm a gun nut."
Reply-- "Hello Cougar...."

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
Old August 5, 2000, 08:17 AM   #8
Patrick Graham

Very disconserting..

I've stooped to buying pulled 230 gr 45 bullets because that's all I could get. I got 2000 from Hi-tech ammo.. They work just fine.. put them in the tumbler first, 100 at a time.
Old August 5, 2000, 09:23 PM   #9
Grayfox

I managed to pick up 500 at a gun show today. I bought all he had.
The theory is that the reason Remington bullets are so hard to find is because Winchester isn't shipping and folks are buying the Remingtons up instead.

Cougar, I don't worry so much about how many bullets I have on hand until I'm ready to reload that particular load. Otherwise, I keep an eye on my supply of loaded ammo.

------------------
Old August 6, 2000, 06:15 AM   #10
JMC

I too have found that there seems to be a "shortage" of bullets from various suppliers. I've been trying to locate the .40 cal. Win 180gr. FMJTC bullets.

NOBODY has ANY! Midway told me that Win. has stopped production of this bullet for the year or that they have reached their production #'s for the year. They didn't seem to know when they would resume.

I managed to get the last bag of 500 they had but what I really wanted was the case of 2340 bullets.

Remington has discontinued their very good 9mm 147gr. FMJ Match bullet for some reason.

National Bullet has a good selection but their quality isn't quite as good as the Win. .40 cal. for my intended use out of my gun.

------------------

Jim - NRA Life Member

www.geocities.com/jimc_07874/home.html

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited August 06, 2000).]
Old August 6, 2000, 10:06 PM   #11
Big Bunny

Yes, the shortage is over here in Australia too. Dealers are using it to "up" prices ...as they did over primers etc at the time of the Gulf War.

Prices here could cure any "gun-nut"...[Cougar please note, you are sitting on a fortune !]

Recently I paid $AUD54/100 for Sierra Match 6.5X55mm 140gn HPBT. (If you can get them.)

Bulk for similar 120gn is $7/100 less, but are tarnished.

Ah...supply and demand, we do depend so much on the USA. A hiccup there sends shock-waves over here!

BB

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.