The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2006, 01:40 PM   #1
scottmphoto

Seeking Load Advice.

I've searched the forum and only found a few loads for a 7.62x54R. I currently have H335, H4350 and Reloader 19. Do any of you have any load info for this cartridge using any of these three powders?

Thanks,

For some reason, this got posted twice. Please ignore this one and check the other one with the same title.

Last edited by scottmphoto; January 29, 2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old January 29, 2006, 10:06 PM   #2
mtnboomer

First off - BUY RELOADING MANUALS - before you blow yourself up. The Lyman manuals have several loadings for this caliber, as do most manuals. NEVER use load info from the internet or other people without cross-referencing them with a manual. Are you starting to see a pattern here? I'm not tring to flame you or make you look stupid, but reloading is a very dangerous hobby and safety rules must be followed without question.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old January 29, 2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

Reloading ain't that dangerous. There are just a lot of fearful people posting. My guess is that scaring people makes them feel knowlegeable and important.

Here are a couple of reliable sites.

http://stevespages.com/310_2.html

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/7.62x54r.php
Old January 29, 2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Actually, not a very dangerous hobby with a good safety record, but you do have to mind your P's and Q's. Some of the reloading manuals have faulty information worked up in a particular gun and too high in pressure for some others. A good rule of thumb is to have at least three manuals on hand to make sure one isn't wildly out of line with the others. I also like to measure my cases and run the loads in QuickLOAD as an additional check.

All that said, what I am reading in my own information is that the bore diameters vary considerably from .308 to .312 for this gun. So the first thing you want to do is push a soft lead slug down the oiled bore and aplly a thimble micrometer (not a caliper-not accurate enough) to it to find out what size bullet you actually should be using?

The Lyman and Sierra manuals both run .308 bullets, except Lyman uses .310" sizing on cast bullets for it. My Vihtavuori Oy (Finland) manual covers the 7.62x53R Mosin Nagent for which it calls for a .309" bullet, and which my copy of The Illustrated Reference of Cartridge Dimensions (Wolfe Publishing, 1993) cliams is the Finnish designation for the 7.62x54R, then gives the bullet as .311". I think the cliam they are the same round is wrong. They are very close, like within .010", but there are two distinct sets of case lengths published. The Sierra and Lyman books use the slightly longer version, but show a rebated rim. The Vihtavuori and Wolfe books both show no rebated rim. My QuickLOAD program (German) puts the 7.62x54R at the longer dimensions, but gives a .312" bore diameter, and the photo of the cartridge with it has the straight rim of the Finnish and Wolfe data books.

Oy-vey Maria! Most guns are able to swage down even a jacketed bullet by a few thousandths (say, 4 or so) without trouble, but I really wouldn't ask an old action to do this if it can be avoided? Soooo- find out what your case dimensions are and what your bore really is? Once you have that basic information, Sierra has several pages of loads in their loose-leaf manual, Lyman has several, and QuickLOAD will roll some for you. Hodgdon has some at their web site, but they don't have any in the printed manual I have. Edit: LeftoverDJ beat me to this site while I was composing. Ahh, web time.

Good luck, and be careful with this thing!

Nick
Old January 29, 2006, 11:41 PM   #5
Acegoesbang

scott what grain bullet ?
because 4350 will shoot in just about and rifle catrige not very good in some but it's ok on you computer type in imr for all imr load data free online winchester/hodgdon and aliant and accurarms all free on line
Old January 30, 2006, 07:18 AM   #6
scottmphoto

Load Data.

I'm not completely new to reloading. I am planning on shooting 150gr. .308 jacketed bullets. I listed those three powders because it is what I use to load for my .303 British and is what I happen to have on hand. I have several load books already and have visited several of the powder maker websites looking for info and I did a search on this forum before asking my question. The oonly load data that I have found so far, using any of these three, was using H335. I have read that I could use the STARTING LOAD data for 30-06. Has anyone else heard that one? I have read that on several Mosin Nagant websites. I just don't know if I want to try it or not...lol
I admit that I haven't slugged the bore on this Mosin yet but I only ordered a small batch of .308's. I did use my caliper to measure some of the bullets that I have been shooting through it already. They all measured .308 and they are pretty accurate @ 100yds. If they don't work out, I'll try some .310's and I can always try some fo the .311's that I have for my .303.

Thanks for the replys,
Old January 30, 2006, 05:27 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I've got a little more clarification. Further reading in Vihtavuori manual revealed a lot of the sporterized versions of this gun are .308, while the Russian military bores run larger. You need to get a micrometer (as little as $9) and see what you've really got for best accuracy? If the bore is too big, the .308's may not get the best results, though some European shooters claim good results in bores up to .002" over jacketed bullet diameter. That never works with lead bullets because the gas blow-by tears them up and leads the bore.

Some 30-06 starting loads are close. I ran the standard '06 match load of 46.5 grains of IMR 4895 under a 175 grain Sierra MK in QuickLoad and it gave similar safe pressures. Loading Varget to upper 30-06 limits did not. So the answer will depend on the powder.

I got a dimensional clarification on the 7.62x53 and 7.62x54. These are from QuickDESIGN, a companion program to QuickLOAD and it confirms my suspicion that the Wolfe manual was wrong to equate them, though the differences are less than .01" in most places. The nominal bullets are .3091" for the 7.62x53 and .3118" for the 7.62x54.

Nick