The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2000, 09:34 PM   #1
Opihi

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had any experience reloading (.40/10mm and .45 ACP)with Rainier Lead Safe Bullets or any other TMJ and lead free types?

Also, any good lead free primers?

Thanks!
Old July 5, 2000, 12:53 AM   #2
Guy B. Meredith

I've been using West Coast 158 gr Copper Plated (total coverage, advertised heavier plating than unspecified competition) RN and have been happy with them. Haven't really tried measuring accuracy, but am able to hit targets up to 50 yards with accuracy consistent with my level of skill.

The West Coast bullets are used by members of the International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts. They come from the manufacturer at $52 per 1000 with shipping included and volume discounts are available. I live in the SF Bay area and get next day delivery.

Old July 5, 2000, 08:23 AM   #3
Matt VDW

I haven't seen any lead-free primers for sale, although they are being used in some commercially-loaded ammunition. It's probably going to take a few more years for the technology to mature.
Old July 5, 2000, 05:41 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

I have manufactured hundreds of thousands of rounds in .355", .357", .400", .410", and .452" using Rainier TMJ bullets, including 38 Super / 9x21 IPSC Major.

Good brand.

Not convinced the lead-free primers are reliable yet (and see no need).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old July 7, 2000, 06:37 PM   #5
saands

I asked this question on this forum a few months ago (I got a USP40C for Christmas) and was referred to Berry's Mfg: http://www.berrysmfg.com/

I have loaded about 1000 of their 135 grain round shoulder plated .40 bullets and have been nothing but satisfied with the results. I have also loaded about 250 of their .357 plated bullets (125 gr H.P.) and have been happy with those as well. They said that their plating is good for 1200 to 1300 fps but I have ramped them on up past 1500 fps (125 grain on a max load of 2400) with no noticeable issues (they said that the plating might not hold on ... causing flyers) I have shot them quite close to a target and looked for small holes due to plating fragments and found none and have never had a round land more than 4 inches off the X ... I'm sure that I'm to blame at 25 yds shooting freehand. Your milage may vary, etc ... but mine has been great! Oh ... the prices on their web page include shipping!
saands
Old July 14, 2000, 08:01 AM   #6
Opihi

Thanks everyone! I found some good pricing on Rainier and try those out first.

Thanks for all the input.