The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2000, 05:45 PM   #1
solo

I have both a 30-06 and 270 and am about to begin reloading for them. I know that I am only supposed to roll crimp cannelured bullets, but all the hunting type bullets such as nosler BT's have no cannelure. Is it Ok to roll crimp an uncannelured bullet, does any body here do it? I've heard that the Lee factory crimp die can be used for such crimping proceedures on uncannelured bullets, what are your opinions about this?
Old June 29, 2000, 06:03 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's not a great idea as you can fold the case neck, damage the bullet, or both.

It's best to use a slightly undersized expander ball in your sizing die. This should give you enough neck tension that you won't have to crimp.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old June 29, 2000, 06:39 PM   #3
Paul B.

Solo. Considering the fact that I seat bullets to different depths to find the most accurate overall length, I don't crimp at all. Using the cannelure one bullets limits you to the depth they feel is best to eliminate feeding and ather problems.
Try setting your seating die so as to not crimp. I doubt seriously that you will have any problems.
Paul B.
Old June 29, 2000, 07:36 PM   #4
Turk

Solo,

Another option is to use a taper crimp die. I use them for 45ACP and M-1 carbine. I know Redding makes them for rifles also.

Concerning the Lee Factory Crimp. They work well but they do distort the bullet some. One thing if you try one. DO NOT over crimp. Crimping too much will cause excessive pressure. I know been there.

The majority of rounds I reload in rifle calibers I don't crimp at all. Even firing a M1A Super Match in rapid fire I've never had any problems.

Mike's and Paul's posts are good advice.

Have a good day.
Old June 30, 2000, 05:42 AM   #5
Bud Helms
Staff

Most sizer balls are ground to a diameter that alows the brass to spring back to a dimension that holds the bullet snug without a crimp. I don't crimp my bottle-neck cartridges either. I am only shooting bolts and singles. It's not an issue with a single shot. I don't load my bolt guns cartridges to fair-thee-well hot, so I've never had a problem with any bullets backing out in the mag while shooting. I have heard the recommendation to crimp in auto rifles. I wouldn't know.
Old June 30, 2000, 07:52 AM   #6
Ruben Nasser

I crimp (if I can) for semi autos, but not for bolt actions. IF the recoil is very heavy, you should also crimp to avoid "creeping" out the bullets. If you adjust the Lee factory crimp properly (not too much) it does a fine job even in non cannelured bullets. Normal roll crimp exerts some downward pressure on the case, and if you don't have a cannelure you can distort the case. This does not happen with taper crimp. In any case, a tight neck is always neccesary.
Old June 30, 2000, 10:27 PM   #7
MADISON

Get yourself a good TAPER CRIMP die in the correct rifle caliber.