The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2000, 10:18 AM   #1
sjones

I have seen several reloaders say they use 1.245 for the oal on 45acps,but I can't get less than 1.250 and that is seating the bullet so far down in the case that thereis very little lip left on the bullet.any shorter and the case mouth will be over the lip. I am using bull-x 200 grain swcs. What am I doing wrong?How much lip should be left sticking out of the case? my lip is only.o71sticking out and that seems wrong. thanks sj
Old June 29, 2000, 10:37 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

To be honest, sjones, I believe what you are doing wrong is worrying about it too much.

For the .45 ACP you do want a little lip outside the case, but the exact amount depends more on how well the round chambers in your gun. The OAL will probably be different for different SWC bullets, even for the same weight. Some have longer noses than others. The main thing is to get enough of the bullet in the case so that it is held tightly but not too far in such that it raises pressure too much.

If 1.250 OAL works well in your gun/magazine, then standardize on it for that particular bullet and just go shoot them.
Old June 29, 2000, 11:14 AM   #3
sjones

Mal,how do you know how far in to seat them?how far down would it take to increase the pressure. I have been thinking about buying a box of factory swcs to see how they look and measure them,this way i'm just loading in the dark without an example to go by. sj
Old June 29, 2000, 11:35 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

You're best bet is to check a reloading manual that lists that particular bullet. But Bull-X's aren't in many of them, so why not call Bull-X and see what they say?

I don't believe you can get the 200 gr. SWC too far down in the casing to raise the pressure to a dangerous level if you always leave some lip outside the case mouth and you use a taper crimp. This is assuming you aren't trying to push the envelope with a very heavy load of powder. If you do that, then anything goes, and I can't give you any advice.

As I said before, the nose of any other lead SWC's will probably be a different length than yours. So checking the OAL of factory lead SWC loads (if you can find them) will not necessarily be a good guide for you.

FWIW, the Midway LoadMap for .45 ACP lists the following 200 gr. SWC's and their OAL:

Hornady SWC - 1.209"
Midway SWC - 1.271"
Speer SWC - 1.220"

The Midway has a long nose and the Hornady has a stubby nose. The Speer is in between those two in length.

So you can see that's quite a range of OAL's and your 1.250 is right in the middle.
Old June 29, 2000, 12:00 PM   #5
Robert the41MagFan

Use your barrel as a headspace checker. That way you get a AOL that best fits your gun. Make sure that your cases are to proper length also.

Robert
Old June 29, 2000, 07:16 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

I've had good luck with 1.258"+.002/-.005".

This is a 'tested' length that seems to function in virtually all 1911-pattern guns (but not all).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old June 29, 2000, 08:15 PM   #7
sjones

Thanks guys,I loaded up 25 at 1.260 to take to the range and see how they function,we will see how it goes. sj
Old June 29, 2000, 09:26 PM   #8
BILLG

The correct length for the 200 Grain SWC in 45 acp is 1.250-1.260.Hope this helps.BILLG