The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2000, 09:58 AM   #1
macondas

Hi all,

been looking at new scales around the internet, unfortuneately that is about the only place I have TO look. I've found one that looks great, but wanted to your learned opinions. It is Reddings Model No.2 Master Powder & Bullet Scale. I can get it from Midway for less than $60. That price is important.

If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. I've been reloading off and on for a couple of years, but the scale that came with my Lee Anniversary set has finally died.

Next thing to be replaced will be the Powder Measure. I've been thinking of the Redding Competition Model 10X-Pistol and Small Rifle
Powder Measure. Any comments on this measure?
Old June 16, 2000, 04:46 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

Any decent scale (I use a RCBS 505) and a scale weight check set (mandatory).

Redding makes superior measures.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old June 16, 2000, 06:08 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

No flies on Redding. I've used them. I'm happy with my Lyman 500.

I have a well-used RCBS powder measure which is still doing fine; still consistent, after all these years...Probably oughta get a new tube, since this one is held on with "duck tape".

, Art
Old June 16, 2000, 06:59 PM   #4
James E

I'm using a lyman 500, works for me. Redding is an excellent brand you can't go wrong there. On the powder measure...check out the Hornady one but add a Case Activated Powder Drop. This device holds the powder measure and screws into your press die hole. And if you are lucky the press will accept Hornady's Lock-N-Load insert. (Twist dies or powder measure in...twist to take out) I had my old Pacific tool 07 press bored and threaded to accept the L-N-L. When the powder measure is in position run a cartridge up into the CAPD Hornady unit...and you get powder in your brass. Great!

Jim
Old June 16, 2000, 07:51 PM   #5
BIGR

I have had real good results with the RCBS scales. When I started loading I had a 505 scale and later bought the 10-10 scale that has the magnet that stablizes the balance beam. Well about 2 years ago I went digital with the 120 volt RCBS scale (darn I forgot the model number).Man you talk about getting down to the exact charges,it is a dream using the digital scale.However since I still think anything electronic could malfunction, I always set up the 10-10 scale to double check the digital scale.If I am loading practice rounds for pistols I use a RCBS powder measure to speed things up.As a matter a fact most all my reloading stuff is RCBS except for a lyman case trimmer.....
Old June 17, 2000, 01:09 AM   #6
G35

yeap.... I use the Redding Competition Model 10X-Pistol.

I highly recommend it. Quality. The micrometer-style adjustable volume mechanism is high quality.

Be sure to get the Table Stand also. Part Number 06000 ..... $27.00

[This message has been edited by G35 (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old June 19, 2000, 12:53 AM   #7
macondas

Guys

I really appreciate the help, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to stay with Redding, but still haven't decided on which of the two that they catalog. If it was a gun I would have already bought both and would be happy. The first one of their's is accurate to within 1/20 of a grain. The model 2 says that it is accurate to 1/10 of a grain, but it apparently has some kind of magnetic thingy that makes the ocillations slow down.

sigh

Jim B