The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Kayser

Storing ammo/components in gun safe?

I'm trying to decide if this is an obviously good idea or an obviously bad idea. I've got a safe coming in this week and was thinking about moving some reloading stuff (primers, powder - or maybe just one to keep them seperated) into it.

Thoughts?
Old January 21, 2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Plated

I personally store loaded ammo in my safe. But I keep my powder and primers (eash has there own container) in large ammo cans with silica packs for moisture concerns. I keep these near my loading bench....more for having them handy. Don't know of any issues other than odor maybe for storing it in your safe.

What about everyone else?
Old January 21, 2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

You don't store powder nor large quantities of primers in ANY strong sealed container. Should you have a fire, it'll eventually go off like a big bomb.If the powder is not confined, it'll merely burn fiercely. Primers will pop singly rather than one massive chainfire explosion.

If you need to store powder or primers securely, make sure the container is vented or designed to vent in a pressure buildup. Ammo boxes are cheap and easily fitted with hasps and locks. A series of half inch holes covered with duct tape would seal humidity out without confining possible high pressure.

If you have large quantities of powder on hand, the National Fire Code requires and sets standards for the construction of a "movable magazine". A "large quantity" is more than most reloaders keep on hand. From memory, I think it's 50 pounds, but might be down around 30 or so.

Loaded ammo is a much lesser concern, and a few boxes in your safe should not pose a problem.
Old January 21, 2006, 10:56 PM   #4
Plated

Guess I should have been more specific about the use of silica

The ammo cans I use have been ventelated for the reasons that Leftoverdj mentioned.
Old January 21, 2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

What Leftoverdj said.

You do not want to store powder and/or primers in a safe. If you have to secure it, store it in a strong wooden box with sides that will blow out in case of a fire. Actually, almost any type of storage facility is ok except a safe, e.g., file cabinet, an old refrigerator or freezer (with a magnetically sealed door, not a latched one), etc.
Old January 22, 2006, 02:08 AM   #6
Kayser

Ok. That's kind of what I figured. I've been to the movies

I keep my primers and powder in a wooden cabinet in my kitchen's center island. If it goes, my dishwasher will take the hit.