The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2000, 08:12 PM   #1
Nukem

Well, this is my second time around loading for the 300 Winmag. First time was almost 20 yrs ago for a hunting rifle, this time for a custom LR/Tac.
I started to have the same problems with the action closing after the brass was resized a few times. I measured everything, no clues.
I finally noticed some of the cases that caused the problems had a ring just above the belt that looked like a head separation sign, only it wasn't. Seems the FL RCBS sizer made the ring. Kind of pushed the brass down to just above the belt!

Pitched the brass and started over with a Lee Collet die. So far so good.

Sometimes the fix doesn't have to cost alot of $

Old May 29, 2000, 12:43 PM   #2
Fred J. Drumheller
Retired Screen Name

I load several belted magnums, and have never encountered such a ring. I have heard of one though.

First, I hope you're NOT crushing the shellholder with the die. This is asking for short case life due to early head seperation. Instead, back the sizing die out until it does NOT touch the shoulder of a fired case. Now, smoke the shoulder with a candle and screw the die in, & try until you are just touching the shoulder. Try the resized case in your rifle. We'll assume that the bolt can not be easily closed. If this is the case, screw in the sizing die a little more, and try again. Repeat with several cases until your bolt closes properly. You will now achieve "normal" case life.

As to the ring above the belt, one can appear after firing a round "fitted" in the above manor. If it does, the rifle has excess head space. The case is deforming into the recess in the chamber for the belt. The rifle should be taken to a gunsmith, and the problem corrected.

Please remember the the only purpose for a belt on a magnum case is so that it will function in a classic British double rifle. It is, in fact, a positive hinderence in a bolt gun. Why is it there on rounds intended only for bolt guns? MARKETING!!! "If'n it ain't got a belt, it ain't a MAGNUM." What about the Remington Ultra-Mags?

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle
Old May 29, 2000, 12:58 PM   #3
Nukem

Fred, It just came from being rebarreled, headspace is correct, fired brass is within ansi specs.

Had the same problem with two different barrels anyway and also tried two different sets of FL dies, even a small base set.
I believe it's caused by the brass being pushed like a wave in front of the sizer and it stops short of the belt where the sizer just can't go. Some brass seem to just be more ductile than others.

Anyway, a collet die completely cured the problem and the groups look nice, so what the heck!
Sometimes one must give credit where it is due. I'm sitting here in a room full of RCBS and Dillon reloading equipment, never owned anything made by Lee.