The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2006, 05:56 AM   #1
coyote1911

Will Lee dies fit in a Hornady LnL progressive?

I had heard that they might be too short but does anybody know for sure?
Old January 10, 2006, 09:31 AM   #2
HSMITH

New production Lee dies are a little longer than they were a few years ago. You can also put the locknuts on the bottom of the die plate on presses like a Dillon if you have the older dies. I didn't pay enough attention to the Hornady press to see if you can there, with the L&L inserts I am not sure if it would work or not. Your best bet will be to call Hornady and ask them if no L&L owners show up here with a definitive answer.
Old January 10, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

Old Lee dies are definitely short. Some of mine barely fit in some of their new presses,such as the Classic Cast. My older .38Special dies are threaded all the way to the top of their threads in my Classic Cast press,just to reach the shellholder. I wouldn't imagine it to be much better with the larger LnL progressive.
Old January 10, 2006, 04:41 PM   #4
pinestraw

Just like Poodleshooter said, the Lee dies are short but I have lee 38spl,
40 s&w and 9mm dies that I use on my Hornady LnL Auto progressive. They
are bottomed out, but work. When I added 41mag and 45colt, I bought
hornady dies for better fit. I've loaded lots of the first three, and no problems.

too many to list
15 shotguns
37 handguns
favorite handgun: Ruger 9mm revolver
Old January 10, 2006, 06:07 PM   #5
coyote1911

Thank you for letting me know. I am very close to buying the Hornady progressive but I wanted to make sure that I could use Lee dies because as far as I can tell Hornady does not make 7.62x25 dies and Lee does. I think RCBS does too.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:06 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

Lee makes the only readily available 7.62x25 dies. RCBS makes them, but they are special order. The 30 mauser is close enough for the seater to work, if not the sizer also, and it is more readily available (the Lee seater for 30 mauser and 7.62x25 are the same die). Also, the Hornady 30 lugar seater die works the best of all three! I don't reload that caliber yet, but I do use seating dies to straighten the bullets on s&b ammo, and the hornady works best.

Andy
Old January 11, 2006, 09:49 AM   #7
robctwo

I use the Lee Factory Crimp dies for all my handguns and rifles on the Hornady LnL. I tried setting up the .270 loading dies and they were so short that I just went with the RCBS for all rifle loading, but Lee crimp for rifle as well. I just past the 12,000 round count and enjoy the machine. Positives for me are the primer feed, powder drop and case feeder for pistols. Con is the round ejector, I removed mine and do it by hand.
Old January 11, 2006, 12:20 PM   #8
Guy B. Meredith

Just a suggestion while you are shopping.

Hornady has some great upgrades coming this spring per their web page: case expansion at powder drop giving you room for both separate crimp and seating dies as well as powder check, new location for return spring that should increase tolerance for "dirt" and an improved shell plate. I have not noted any need to improve the shell plate so I am not sure what that does.

You might want to make sure the press you purchase has these features. If you are buying an older used press (mine is one of the very earliest) upgrade to the current priming system--it is very slick.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!