The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2000, 11:26 PM   #1
davpet

Guys, I'm just setting up my RCBS Master Reloading Kit, I bought a military primer pocket swager combo, and small base dies for 30-06. Do I decap my LC 69 brass with the swager or must I use the decapping/resizing die? If I only need to use the swager to both decap and get rid of the military crimp, should I leave out the decapping pin on the resizing die?
thanks for your help
Dave
Old April 30, 2000, 11:35 PM   #2
alan

davpet:

First resize your cases, You can decap during resizing or decap FIRST using a punch and base, then resize.

A press mounted pocket swager replaces the sizing die, on a single stage press. You could use a hand held reamer too, Lyman used to make them in both large and small sizes. If you are really carefull, you could remove crimp with a sharp knife, but I wouldn't want to do many cases this way.

Why did you buy a small base die? Most often, you don't need them, and they tend do overwork your brass. Standard Full Length Sizer works fine, as a rule.
Old May 1, 2000, 03:23 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alan:
davpet:

Why did you buy a small base die? Most often, you don't need them, and they tend do overwork your brass. Standard Full Length Sizer works fine, as a rule.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly........for years I reloaded 30-06 for a Rem 7400 without a problem and am now reloading for my M1 Garand without problems using a RCBS standard 30-06 sizing die.

------------------
Carlyle
Old May 1, 2000, 06:49 PM   #4
davpet

guys,
I was told to go the small base die route because I am reloading for my Garand and didn't want to have problems with case size and dimensions. I have been told that it overworks the brass, but I figured better safe than sorry.

dave
Old May 3, 2000, 12:01 AM   #5
alan

davpet:

When I started high power competition shooting years ago, I fired an M-1 rifle. Reloaded with RCBS dies, standard full length sizer type, never had a problem with them.

Actually, never found it necessary to use a small base die in any rifle I shot/reloaded for, though I stuck to the M-1 above mentioned, then bolt guns.
Old May 3, 2000, 06:09 PM   #6
Unkel Gilbey

The only time a SB set of dies should be employed is if there is a problem with chambering reloads in an Autoloader. Typically, even with a M1 Garand, a neck resize can be used, and the case has already been 'sized' when it was fired in that weapon.

As you already know, Bolt guns don't need this treatment as their bolts provide all the camming power needed to chamber rounds that are near max spec.

If you can, trade the SB dies for a set of standard FL resizing dies, and then experiment with neck sizing to get to the point where you are working the cases the least. They will last much longer, and you can therefore plunk down more $$$ for those 168 gn Matchkings!

BTW, has anyone started to experiment with the 175 gn HPBT Matchkings with the aught- six?

Unkel Gilbey