The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2006, 10:30 AM   #1
niadvance

gas checks and reloading 30 cal carbine

i am just starting to reload for my m1 carbine and want to know if gas checks are a good idea. i am going to be using hrnandy 110 gr fmj bullets, are they necessary?
Old January 8, 2006, 11:44 AM   #2
Ruger4570

It isn't the best of ideas to use cast bullets in any gas operated gun, eventually the gas ports and pistons will gook up with lead and lube and it is somewhat difficult to clean. The best bet it to continue to use jacketed bullets.
Old January 8, 2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Poygan

I have used the Lyman .311359 without a gas check in my carbine with no adverse effects on the gas piston. Just bought a gas piston wrench and had negligible leading, although I haven't fired more than maybe 500 rounds over the years. Having said that, putting on a gas check certainly reduces bbl leading. However, I'm a bit confused with your comment about using a gas check with a jacketed bullet, or did I misread?
Old January 8, 2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Depends...

Niadvice--It depends on whether you said what you meant. If you ARE going to be shooting Hordady 110 grain FMJ bullets, the FMJ = Full Metal Jacket. If this is the bullet you meant, the metal jacket, of copper or some copper alloy, acts as a gas check, protecting the lead core of the bullet. You don't need to add further protection.

If what you plan to shoot is solid cast lead or lead-alloy bullets, WITHOUT a jacket, then a gas check on the base of the bullet is a good idea in almost all rifle loads, and hotter pistol loads as well.

BTW, I agree with Ruger4570--the standard wisdom on cast lead bullets is to NOT shoot them in gas-operated autoloaders. However, as Poygan points out, some people do shoot cast lead in gas-op autoloaders, and experience few problems. One factor in the decision to use lead would be how easy the gas port in yr bbl is to access and clean, should the lead foul it. And a gas check would probably help in avoiding gas-port lead fouling, just as it helps in avoiding excessive leading of the bore.

Enjoy your reloading! Remember, the journey is part of the destination.

--Smokey Joe
Old January 9, 2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Ruger4570

I personally have not shot cast bullets through any of my gas guns, just because it makes sence that IN TIME you will get a build up of crud from either the lube or lead or both. I have a Ruger Deerstalker in 44 and Ruger states" do not use lead bullets". I am certainly not trying to be arguementative in any respect. For the amount of shooting I do with these guns, I buy copper bullets just because I don't want to take a chance on messing up the system, nor do I want to clean it either. I would have to assume there is some basis for the warnings.
Old January 9, 2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

Amazing how much people who have never done somethng think they know about it.
Old January 9, 2006, 12:51 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Gas checks are for cast bullets. FMJ's don't need them.
As an aside, Speer 110 grain hollow points with IMR4227 work extremely well out of my carbine. They'll make a hole the size of a grapefruit in a ground hog.
Old January 9, 2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Ruger4570

I din't say I don't know anything about cast bullets, just said I didn't have any use for them in a gas gun... hmmmm. sounds like Quigly. In fact I shoot many 1,000's a year in my 45-70, not even counting those from my 45 Colt, 357 mag, 35-284, 54 and 45 cal muzzle loaders and a couple of others. So I do think I "know" a little about cast bullets. If you were to think about it, doesn't it make sense to you, grease, bare lead bullets, I don't know, it does to me. I suppose I could sorta reverse the statement and say. "It amazing how someone thinks they know so much" based on what seems like no real personal knowledge, simply an attitude problem. Personally, I think I trust the judgement of MANY "experts and manufactures" that have nothing to gain by saying this. What I did in my post, was to pass along advice from experts that I have read and companies that have said this. Sorry if I "ruffled your feathers". I too have a 30 Carbine and I have pulled the gas plud and found a lot of lead and grease in the gas system, doesn't mean that Poygan is wrong or right, we just have had different experiences for whatever reason and we do what pleases us.
Old January 9, 2006, 10:22 PM   #9
Leftoverdj

Quote:
we just have had different experiences for whatever reason and we do what pleases us.
No, Polygan has experience with cast bullets in a gas operated rifles. I have experience with cast bullets in gas operated rifles. So do thousands of other casters. You have no experience with cast bullets in a gas operated rifle, by your own admission.

I place much more weight on my experience and the experiences of those who have actually done something than I do on the opinon of one who is just repeating what he has heard without ever bothering to check it out.
Old January 9, 2006, 11:34 PM   #10
Ruger4570

Whatever

Last edited by Ruger4570; January 10, 2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old January 10, 2006, 04:37 PM   #11
Paul Fitz Jones

Original Calif-Saeco .30 120 gr 4 cav Gas Check mold

A goodly number of returning veterans wanted to shoot their kept carbines inexpensively so as the company distributor in the 1970's I asked that the carbine mold and others be made to use common tire weights and a large number of the match winning lifetime quality molds were made for me. Retiring in 1979 I kept a good selection of them and I happen to have a bevel base mold and a gas check mold left in my collection. New of course. My many customers reported no unusual problems with the use of tire weights, straight or alloyed with linotype and the Original Saeco bullet lube I also supplied.

Anyone is welcome to PM me.
Police Firearms Instructor
Old January 10, 2006, 05:00 PM   #12
Harley Quinn

Lead 120's and hard enough with gas checks

Probably are not going but about 1600 fps if that... So maybe that is how you get around the problem.

If the gasoline manufactures tell you to be careful and you are not, does not mean you should not be careful.

I feel the guy's who shoot lead and a lot of it are in know.

The harder the better I would think. I only shoot lead in my Ruger 44Mag revolver. I believe I have talked about the load I am working on at the moment before, so I won't 'bore' you with it LOL...

Harley
Old January 10, 2006, 07:40 PM   #13
Leftoverdj

Lyman made (makes?) their 311410 mould specifically for the M1 carbine. Got loading data with a note on what cycles the carbine in their "Cast Bullet Handbook".

Mind you, I ain't claiming that it is a good idea to use cast in ALL gas operated rifles. I'd take a good look to see how difficult it would be to clean when needed and for any really tight tolerances in the gas system first. I can tell you from experience that the M1 Carbine and the SKS are cast bullet friendly and the Hakim does fine with heavy hard bullets.

There are a lot of myths floating around the shooting world.