The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2006, 09:39 PM   #1
joecad

new at casting bullets with a question

i got basically everything i need to reload for Christmas.....press,dies, scale, powder measure, mold, and furnace. i gave casting 45acp 230 grain round nose bullets for a bit this afternoon, just to play and get familiar with the equipment.
one thing i noticed is that almost all of the cast bullets at the nose showed a "layer" effect. by that i mean part of the nose would look kind of like an orange with a chunk of the peel missing like the lead had layered.it seemd like the first lead in the mold froze and the the lead behind it filled in the rest of the mold. could too low heat cause this? if so ...what is the proper temperature for casting?
Old January 8, 2006, 09:53 PM   #2
gm110656

Yes, low metal or mould temperature or actually both. I melt my alloy at around 700 degrees but it varies with different compositions. If you cast a bullet and let it set in the mould a minute, you'll have wrinkle free bullets after about 6 or 8 attempts. Warm your mould above the pot while you're melting down your alloy and you should be fine.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:08 AM   #3
cracked butt

That can be caused by a fine layer of oil in a new mould. Try scrubbing your mould out with hot soapy water and a toothbrush, allowing it to dry thoroughly and also run you melt hotter.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:35 AM   #4
Leftoverdj

As Cracked said, that's almost certainly caused by preservative on the mould. Cleaning with toothbrush and solvent can be very frustrating. I boil new moulds in soapy water for a half hour or more. If the mould is iron, store it in a milsurp ammo box with some rust preservative tabs or paper between uses.
Old January 9, 2006, 09:26 AM   #5
HSMITH

Chlorinated brake cleaner will clean a mold out in seconds, saves the boiling time.

What you describe sounds like oil in the mold AND low temps to be. The low temp part could be the melt, the mold or both.

I cast hot and fast, 725-750* or so in the pot, and keep the bullets coming from the mold just a tad 'frosted'.

Get your pot temp up if needed, then pour and dump the bullets FAST, as soon as the sprue hardens dump and refill. Keep doing that until the bullets look like they have a layer of frost on them or a slightly dull look. You have now gone too fast and gotten the mold too hot, slow down some now. Cast and dump just fast enough to stay on the edge of frosty bullets. A mold that is a little on the hot side casts better than one that is a little on the cold side.
Old January 9, 2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Ruger4570

I would also suggest "smoking" the mold with a match or butane lighter. It is recommended for Lee molds, but I have done this for years with all my molds.Seems to help with the casting and release of the slugs.
Old January 9, 2006, 06:14 PM   #7
joecad

thanks to all for the advice

thanks to all for the advice...i will certainly take all of it.....and i will let you know what i found...probably on the week end....during the week it is too crazy to get anything done.
once again thanks to all of you.