The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2005, 09:08 PM   #26
RugerOldArmy

I've found reloading to be yet another hobby. Although I prefer to load in the winter to shoot in the spring, summer, and fall, I do load year round, even when I have ammo.

Sometimes it's the search for a perfect load. Other times it's the search for a niche-load. Rifle for example, I have .308 hunting loads, target loads for 300 or less yards (168 Gr SMK), target rounds for longer than 300 yards (175 Gr SMK), varmint rounds, and some light recoil rounds for my older son. Pistol is pretty similar. Light target rounds, target rounds that make major, classic military .45 ACP rounds, and some home defense rounds. I like to keep some of everything in stock.

I'm a single dad with two young sons. So the best thing to keep me from reloading for reloading's sake is the limit on my lockable storage. I'd say I have 1500 .308 rounds loaded, 4000 .45 ACP loaded, 2000 9mm and a case of shotgun shells.

...of course, I'm considering loading shotgun shells, and also keep a healthy stock of BP/Muzzleloading balls/minies/shot/caps/powder on hand too.

When I do go shooting, I do shoot a lot though. 100+ rifle or 500+ pistol or a case+ of shotgun shells would be average shooting session. And barring January and February, I'm usually shooting several times a month.
Old May 27, 2005, 08:26 PM   #27
gschwertley

Ammo Stock

You guys with 200-300 rounds per weapon are kidding, right??

Well, I am no fanatic, but five or six years ago, I was at a gunshow talking with an "old timer" (anybody older than me) and mentioned that I reckoned I had (at that time) around 15,000 rounds. He said, "Well, young feller, you got a pretty good start on it then."

Since that time, I have added quite a few more rounds but I don't know who many now.

Just tell that girl friend who balked at 300 rounds, "Honey, you just never know when the Red Chinese are going to invade and land at Picnic Point Beach (or wherever)." I don't know if it will work, but at least she might be able to understand the mentality.
Old May 28, 2005, 04:20 PM   #28
VonFatman

tjhands,
My wife shoots with me and really does not have an "issue" with my reloading since I load her ammo too! She's terrific!! I usually load up 1-2k of any particular caliber for range use....a man's gotta keep LOTS of ammo around to "feed" a hungry range! Thousands of rounds? Of course.

renaissance7697,
I also enjoy a 650. You are gonna really enjoy having your toolhead(s) set and ready to go. That's the same thing I did a while back. I even bought an additional primer system.

I certainly didn not NEED to have different heads/primer system, but I really enjoy having everything set and ready w/o major changeover (other than the caliber conversion). I've even standardized on Dillon dies...they work better (IMHO).

It's a very cool and simple system. It's my hobby and I never look back at what I've invested...heck, I don't golf, gamble, drink, etc...what the heck!
Old May 29, 2005, 04:42 PM   #29
Sturm

And, Handloading can become more than an excellent hobby! It can become a passion and if you keep doing it on a single stage press after 20 years, it may border on Neurosis. So, I won't say how much I have in the ammo closet, but I will say, I am always prepared to go to the range!
Old January 7, 2006, 01:54 AM   #30
chevis

I try to keep at least 1,000 rds of 38 and twice that many for 45acp.I figure if I got to do it and I have my loads figured out I might as well load a couple thousand rds at each setting.I did 5,000 one weekend....but mind you I shoot at least 1,200 rds a week too...Just about to the point of not reloading 9mm though,unless I decide to spring for a Dillon 1050...right now I just have a Dillon 550 and a 650
Old January 7, 2006, 04:18 AM   #31
JJB2

i reload as something to do in the winter time here in iowa... i have about 2600 rounds loaded of .38 spl. and .357 mag but i'm bored so i'm hoping a guy i heard from on another forum comes thru with the .38 spl cases he was going to trade me for 9mm cases so i'll have something to do....... it is just like a hobby to me too... try an make better ammo than factory... can do it most of the time too!!

LIFE IS SHORT........
Old January 7, 2006, 09:41 AM   #32
Olaf

I used to load all the cases I had on hand....and usually reloaded empty cases within a day, after a trip to the range. Not anymore. Now, I keep about 20 rounds of hunting ammo loaded for each rifle.....and perhaps 30-40 target loads. When I need more, I load in small lots, 20 -40 rounds at a time.

I suppose that the "novelty" of spending hours at a time at the reload bench has worn off.......
Old January 7, 2006, 01:05 PM   #33
Bobshouse

I ain't gonna say how many rounds I have loaded, lets just say if you ever see my garage on fire...run...then when you think you've ran enough...run again!

Bob
Old January 7, 2006, 06:59 PM   #34
Russ5924

Someone had to dig to find this post from last May
Old January 7, 2006, 09:29 PM   #35
redbeard55

Do you reload even when you have ammo

Some people like to talk about guns and there are those who like to shoot and shoot often. There was a time when I had 10K of loaded 38 Special alone in my basement. When you find 38 Special once fired brass on sale for $10 a 1000, you stock up. One 8 lb jug of Winchester 231 will load the entire 10K and then some. When loading for 38 Special I typically use 4.2 grains of Winchester 231 and a 158 grain LSWC. The load clocks about 850 fps - a nice practice round. The 8 pounds of 231 will load over 13K. Now that I'm shooting Steel Matches at the local gun club with a revolver, the number I keep on hand has gone done considerably. When I'm out of 38 Special I will set up the Dillon 650 and load every single piece of 38 Special brass I haved on hand before I convert the press to load another caliber. If you consider I sometimes shoot 500 rounds (just of 38 Special) a weekend, 10K will not last that long. If I take my daughter shooting, she typically likes to bring a friend. I furnish the ammo for all. I don't want to be in a position where I have to reload before I go shooting. Rifle, pistol and shotgun. You should always have a good supply on hand. Give me a call and say you want to go shooting, and I simply have to go down into my basement and put my gear and ammo together. I have a decent job now, but there is always the possibility I might loose the job and my next job won't pay as well. Just makes sense to have a sufficient supply of ammo on hand. And this should include the components for preparing more. Sierra sells seconds at their factory and keeping a good supply of brass and bullets is breaking no law. I purchase 1st run rifle bullets when hunting, but for 100 yard shooting the seconds are fine. Buying your components in bulk certainly drops the price per round. Will probably have to reload 38 Special in another year or two. In the meantime I load other calibers. Having a 650 Dillon makes loading quality ammo easier. I loaded on single stage for years, but I soon found loading 500-600 on a weekend pretty much did in my 50+ year old body. It would be 2-3 days before I could raise my arm above shoulder level. I have a friend who loads for probably 25-30 calibers. He probably has 30-40K on hand. Used to shoot with another guy that probably kept 10K+ of 7.62 X 39 on hand at all times. And he probably had 15-20 calibers he reloaded for. There are more than a few guys at the gun club that easily shoot 1-2K+ a month. The day after Christmas I spent the day at the range shooting rifle. The day after New Years I shot clay birds with my daughter. Today I shot a Steel Match. When the weather is nice I like to get out as often as possible. During the dog days of summer I don't shoot much. I have no idea how much ammo some of the serious competitors have on hand. I view myself as a plinker that enjoys my time at the range. I'm not the best shot around, but I do enjoy shooting. I do know there are people that shoot a lot more than I do. Having a 1 or 2 year supply of ammo on hand doesn't seem excessive, regardless of the amount. My range is a good drive from the house. When I get to the range, I like to shoot (not talk) for 3 to 6 hours. You can legally keep 20 pounds of gun powder in your house without special provisions. I did build a suitable powder magazine in the basement so that I could store up to the 50 pound legal maximum of powder. Most of the time I stay under the 20 pound range. My friend who has 30-40K loaded probably keeps less than 10 pounds of powder at his house. The top of the magazine I built is loose so I don't create excessive pressure in case the powder does ignite. Its all perfectly legal. I'm not selling my ammo on the side or breaking any law. If I take someone shooting, I furnish the ammo. Getting new people into the sport is something every shooter should do. First time shooters don't want to go if it is going to cost them $100+ for ammo. Even if they never shoot again, chances are they won't be anti gun if they've had a good time at the range. When I take someone new, no money ever changes hands. I enjoy shooting too much to run the risk of loosing my right to shoot by doing something stupid. Will have to admit the insurance company would probably frown on my supply. As far as fire code goes, I am legal. To my knowledge the fire code doesn't address loaded ammo. 2nd amenment issues. The fire code only addresses powder and primers.