The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Kayser

Something I've never understood about progressives.

I'm an intermediate reloader, looking to maybe upgrade my operations. One question I have is about progressives : how do they fit into the inspection stage when you're reloading? I'm a stickler for inspecting my brass. Caliper measurement and visual inspection every time. How does this work with progressives? You have to inspect after sizing, right? Doesn't that kind of defeat at least one of the stages in the progressive?
Old January 3, 2006, 10:28 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Quote:
You have to inspect after sizing, right?
Nope.
Old January 3, 2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Kayser

Allow me to correct myself : you have to measure length after sizing, right? Every .45 ACP round I've ever measured prior to sizing has come in too short.
Old January 3, 2006, 11:29 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

If you want to inspect caselength, then it can be done after resizing (and expansion, if you use the lee gauge/trimmers, since they may not fit in the sized, but not expanded case). For semiauto, uniform caselength is most important, and checking/trimming prior to resizing works fine, even with the lee gauge/trimmer.

If you have an autoindexing progressive press with casefeeder, even depriming prior to tumbling can be quick and easy on a progressive with only a universal deprimer die installed. Or you could install just the sizer and expander dies (just use the powder die without the PM installed for straight wall cases on a dillon), and run those through in one step. Then do your inspection/trimming, then load the primer feed, install the pm, seater and crimper and run them through again to finish the ammo. The point is, with autoindexing and casefeeder, even running one step at a time is faster than a single stage or turret press.

Andy
Old January 3, 2006, 11:36 PM   #5
rwilson452

Measure?

Way back when. I was a guy that checked the brass at every stage. then I noted that .45ACP brass doesn't strech to any significant degree. I have brass that I have fired so many times you can hardly read the head stamp. It's still not over length and it still works. I just clean and load them until they break. Now my rifle brass is a whole different thing. .45ACP is a low pressure round and the dies doesn't work it much. Much less stress means much less stretch.

In short. no I don't check the brass after sizeing. I figure it's a waste of time.
Old January 4, 2006, 09:03 AM   #6
HSMITH

45 acp brass gets shorter each time you load it anyway. On a Dillon 550 you pull a pin and the case slides out of any station on the press, you can do any checks you want very easily.
Old January 4, 2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Russ5924

I only shoot pistol and have never at anytime checked for OAL in any caliber and I reload .38, .357, .45ACP, .45colt and 9MM.
Old January 4, 2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Why measure pistol brass? Most of it is shorter than spec. and gets even shorter when fired and reloaded. What are you going to do about it? The taper crimp takes care of most unevenness in mixed brass for applications of moderate precision like IPSC. If you are a high ranked target shooter, use matched brass for 50 yard slowfire and keep the lot together.
Old January 4, 2006, 05:36 PM   #9
RERICK

Cleaning Primer Pockets

I don't have a progressive press yet but one thing I'd like to ask as long as we are here, At what point if all would you clean the primer pocket?As I always do it to every case I load before I put in a new primer.I have heard that with a progressive press its not done?And if not what type of effect does it have on the finished round?
Old January 4, 2006, 07:18 PM   #10
Wrangler5

I will clean primer pockets on 308 brass I'm loading for the 600 yard line, but I confess it may just be out of superstition. I've never cleaned primer pockets on any other load. Have you done tests to verify that there's a worthwhile improvement in accuracy between the same load with clean pockets, as compared to not cleaned, all other variables remaining the same?
Old January 4, 2006, 08:14 PM   #11
BigJakeJ1s

I don't have a progressive, but I deprime using a universal depriming die before I tumble the cases to clean them (and it cleans the primer pocket some). I then resize (with the depriming rod installed to take care of the occasional grain of tumbling media that gets stuck in the flash hole), and proceed as normal. This also avoids excessively dirtying the tumbler media by not having the spent primer in their while it is tumbling. I might keep doing it once (if) I get a progressive press too. Like I mentioned above, with a casefeeder and autoindexing, it isn't a really big deal to run the brass through with just the deprimer die anyway.

Andy
Old January 4, 2006, 08:26 PM   #12
HSMITH

Cleaning primer pockets on handgun ammo is a waste of time.
Old January 4, 2006, 09:14 PM   #13
TimRB

Sheesh. I thought you were talking about California politicians. I've never understood them either.

Tim
Old January 5, 2006, 01:12 PM   #14
30Cal

For pistol brass, I give them a look over before I size them. I don't think I've ever measured a pistol case.

For rifle brass, I inspect after tumbling. By routine, I trim after every other firing, so I don't ever really measure those either (I check with a case gage if the die isn't one I use regularly).

Ty
Old January 5, 2006, 01:49 PM   #15
Rivers

Listen to Mssrs. Smith and Watson. Don't waste another moment of your short life measuring pistol brass.
Old January 5, 2006, 03:12 PM   #16
caz223

Agreed.
Old January 5, 2006, 07:48 PM   #17
RERICK

nope I have never done any test to verify accuracy but I guess I'll have to give it a try the next time I load.My only concern is a primer that doesn't seat all the way because of the crap in the way from the old primer and inconsistant ignition and such but I'll have to try and see for myself.