The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 1, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1
Farmhand

Browning B92

Does anyone have any experience with a Browning B92 (1892) in 44 mag? What is the quality of these guns? How accurate are they?
Old January 2, 2006, 11:11 AM   #2
gak

Although I have not owned, I have known a few who have. Very high quality/top drawer. Were made in .357 and .44 Mag in roughly equal amounts I believe, but the .44 seems more prevalent in recent sales I've seen, so...? Supposedly built in same Japanese factory (a good thing) - in the late 70s, early 80s -- for Browning (Winchester) as the recent Winchester reissue Model 92s and others. I have heard the characterization (qualification) about Rossi 92s of "A very nice gun but ain't no Browning 92..." While I've owned many Rossis (Rossi, EMF, LSI (Legacy Puma), Navy Arms) with no problems and good shooters all, I think they are primarily referring to fit, finish, wood quality (the very best re finish and wood) and perhaps metallurgy. They are no longer cheap (actually never really were)..currently running in the $500/600 + range for the very good to excellent used "regular" models, $700/800+ for the "Centennial" models (high grade/limited ed.). Most I've seen (Centennial or not) have gold plated triggers, the centennials have engraving on the receiver. Not sure how the saddle ring (when so equipped) is treated, but I believe at least gold on the Centennial.
These are essentially 99% accurate to the originals -- actually perhaps closer to later issue (1920s?) as they employ a buckhorn rear sight (the 1% difference) vs. the earlier issue (1892-1920 or so?) flip up ladder type. From the 1920s through the end of production int he 1930s, most 92 carbines actually had the "slight notch" type -- and not a full buckhorn -- found on Model 94s since then also, so the buckhorn is closer in design to that configuration than the earlier ladder sight. So, in addition to the EMF and Navy Arms (which also have no goofy safety like the LSIs do making the LSIs less desirable IMO and certainly "non original" ), but the Browning perhaps even better due to the quality, this is as close to an original 92 in function and form as you can get--without it actually being an orignal Win. Armi Sport (through Taylors and perhaps Cimarron, though I have not seen cabines advertised via the latter) is taking a stab at these, including I believe the early-period correct ladder type rear sight (also standard on all 1873 carbines), but - like the early Rossis - have got the front post sight wrong...placing it on the barrel band and not behind it per most original 92s.