The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2000, 02:55 AM   #1
Big George

I'm just curious as to what you guys are using for light loads with this combination, and what recoil spring in Government Model. I have been building much stronger loads , but want to cut way back for target.
Old March 4, 2000, 10:14 PM   #2
killer45auto

I used to load mine at 4.1 grains with 231 and the 185 gr. bullet it is a real soft shooting load and does not lead the barrel at all.The only thing about 231 i don`t like is that it is a very smoky powder,ditto for Hodgdon`s HP38, Ithink im going to try the hodgdon tightgroup next i hear it is a real clean burning powder.Just about all my reloads for the .45 acp are reduced loads for target practice.Recently i been using bullseye which is extremely accurate with the 185 @ 5.0 grains
hope thgis helps
Old March 5, 2000, 09:21 AM   #3
zeke

Big George-Have been using 5.0 gns hp-38 under a magnus 185 gn short nose swc (1.170 oal) @ 815 fps from 5 in barrel. Have found the followers on Wison's mags to benefit feeding short rounds.
Old March 5, 2000, 09:43 AM   #4
Big George

Zeke, you bring up another subject that's related. I have just started using Bull-X 185 gr. 185 lswc because they are long, and I'm still loading to 1.255 OAL which both Kimbers, a Springfield HiCap, and a Charles Daly eat all day long without a hiccup. I may push them down a litle more on the next loading , but I wonder of I should mess with success...
Old March 8, 2000, 02:30 PM   #5
zeke

Big George-When i make up a lswc target round, the OAL is determined by seating a bullet in empty by seating a bullet in empty unprimed brass. Then drop the dummy round into chamber of barrel (dissembled from 45 pistol). The length is determined when the base of brass is flush with rear of barrel hood. Headspace is now determined by the bullet contacting rifling, instead of the extractor. For the magnus Short nose SWC, this results in 1.170 OAL. When using long nose swc's (185 gn or 200 gn) this usually results in OAL of approximatly 1.257 in. Am betting your swc's from bull-x are of the long nose variety. If they are, wouldn't mess with what works. If i seated the short nose to 1.257, they wouldn't chamber.