The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2005, 08:10 PM   #1
charlie in md

Red Dot Load for .44 special

Has anyone out here used Red Dot for a 44 special load? I came across a recipe in an older (1980's) Sierra manual. 6.2 grains topped with a 240 gr JHP. 6.4 grains was maximum load. 800 Fps. I am curious as I haven't come across any recent manuals with that loading.

Old December 18, 2005, 10:27 PM   #2
somerled

I would be careful with the old Red Dot data. The Alliant site shows 4.3 grains of Red Dot with a 246 grain LRN bullet. The chamber pressure is 11,900 c.u.p. No doubt one could increase it a bit more out of .44 Mag or a stouter .44 Special revolver such as a S&W N-frame.

I think the .44 Spl. is best reloaded with cast lead bullets. The jacketed .429 in. dia. bullets work best in the .44 Magnum on top of slow-burning powders.
Old December 19, 2005, 12:29 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

My experience with Red Dot in handgun loads is not complimentary.

Wide velocity swings and VERY dirty.

The upside is that the rounds I loaded (.38 Spl., mainly) were very accurate.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 19, 2005, 08:40 AM   #4
charlie in md

thanks

Thanks for the info. I will be shooting out of a Bisley Blackhawk 44 mag. I'm using the jacketed bullets, as they are the only ones I had on hand. I loaded 50, and I'll see how it goes.
Old December 19, 2005, 04:17 PM   #5
357shooter

I have tried red dot for 44. magnum loadings.like mike Irwin said it is very dirty and have also had velocity swings,but my reloads are very acurate.I have loaded 240 gr.lrfn hard cast bullets over 7 and 8 grains of red dot.These are very acurate loads out of my ruger sbh.I have gotten a little leading but nothing to get worried about.I have not loaded it with specials,also red dot does not seem to meter well for me so I have recently switched to universal for my practice loads.
Old December 20, 2005, 01:13 AM   #6
somerled

Red Dot does hang up the powder meter. That old data should not be used. Those powders such as Herco, Blue Dot, Green Dot, Red Dot and Unique--it doesn't take as much to generate the same pressure with the reformulated powders now available.