The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2005, 02:01 AM   #1
jeff104665

Whats the best range ammo for use in a high point 9mm?

Hey,

I recently bought a highpoint 9mm compensated pistol. I bought it just to use as a range gun, not self-defense (I have a Glock 27 for that.) I havnt fired it yet but i read a few threads where people mentioned their HP 9mm's were picky on ammo. They never specified the type of ammo it liked/disliked. I' appreciate it if any of you could share your knowledge/experiences with different types of ammo in the highpoint 9mm pistols. Like I said, I am not using this rifle for self defense, just range fun. So I am not too concerned with hollowpoints and/or expensive ammo. Thanks for the help.

-Jeff
Old November 21, 2005, 05:39 PM   #2
coolridelude

my friend uses wwb, or blazers. work for him. and wwb ususally works for any gun.
Old November 22, 2005, 04:35 AM   #3
sltintexas

+1 for blazer
Old November 22, 2005, 08:05 AM   #4
ExtremeDooty

I haven't had any trouble putting anything through mine yet (compact 9mm). I buy WWB, Blazer, UMC, PMC. I bought a box of reloads once and don't remember the name, but had no trouble with those either.

Isaac Asimov
Old November 22, 2005, 11:46 AM   #5
Te Anau

I also have the compensated 9x19 and i've run Blazer,Wuss box,Wolf,S&B,UMC through it with no problems.Wuss box however is erratic and underpowered and is not a good round to break in any handgun IMHO.I've heard that they don't like hollowpoints but I can't personally confirm this as I rarely shoot HP's.
Old November 22, 2005, 01:00 PM   #6
CajunBass

Mine seems to shoot anything I stuff into it. I've shot WWB, Blazer brass, Rem-UMC, and American Eagle, that I recall. Maybe some other stuff too. I've only shot a few HP's but it fed them just fine too.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 22, 2005, 01:37 PM   #7
jeff104665

i appreciate the input. I guess I'll just buy whatever the range has got to offer and see how it goes! Thanks again. Jeff
Old December 18, 2005, 10:22 PM   #8
jsflagstad

My Hi-Point 9mm Eats anything but really likes.....

I have a Hi-Point compensated 9mm I bought for the same reason that you did...plinking. Mine eats everything that I have stuck in it. For factory loads, it actually seems to shoot best with the Wolf ammo, and shoots the worst with UMC ammo. Recently, I started reloading for this gun, and have loaded up some "full tilt" loads that really shoot well. I also happen to reload for my 357 Mag as well, so I have a bunch of bullets laying around for it as well. I saw a thread on this forum of a few guys talking about reloading 9mm rounds with 357 mag bullets. I have a surplus of 158 grain LSWC cast bullets for my 357 so I did some research and decided to try some in my 9mm rounds. I am pushing these bullets really slow out ofmy 9mm, with a real light load of Bullseye behind them because I expect that there will be a bit higher pressure due to the tighter bullet fit in the barrel. I mic'd out the jacket bullets for the 9mm that I bought and they are all .3540". The 158 gr LSWC are .3570", and the barrel of my Hi-Point 9mm measures .3555".

The 158 grn LSWC at .3570" dia with the light load of Bullseye is the most accurate and consistent load I have ever shot from this gun. I saw no pressure signs, no leading signs, and there was very little recoil. I raised the powder charge a bit, and although there were still no pressure signs, the accuracy suffered a little so I went back to the lighter charge. Also, these lead semi wad cutters (LSWC) fed through the gun with no issues. I also tried some reloads with .357 jacketed HP bullets. I got the same results, they were very accurate and consistent as long as I didn't try to over drive them. They also fed through the gun with no issues. Seems to me, that this is sort of like putting a match grade barrel on the gun, where the match grade barrel would have a bit tighter diameter, only here we are doing it by increasing the bullet diameter by .0030" inches which looks to be real effective.

Like I said earlier, I bought this gun for plinking, but if I get this load to keep working this well, I may just have to try this value weapon in some competitions. We'll see, so far I have no dislike about the gun for the price I paid....

JSF
Old December 18, 2005, 10:36 PM   #9
kymasabe

Merry Christmas everyone. I don't know a darn thing about Hi-Points, so can't answer the questions...sorry.

Last edited by kymasabe; December 20, 2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old December 18, 2005, 11:11 PM   #10
Logs

My understanding is that you shouldn't use WOLF. Blazers +1 or Winchester White box
Old December 19, 2005, 12:02 AM   #11
jsflagstad

RE: kymasabe

kymasabe,

Through a bit of research, I have found that it is fairly common knowledge that many 9mm's have a bit oversized bore, and to get them to shoot many have experimented with larger .356, .357, and even .358" bullets and are safely getting good accuracy with them. I am merely doing the same thing and it is working for me. I am not new to reloading, and I wouldn't recommend that an inexperienced reloader try this. I appreciate your cautionary over tone, but didn't care much for your comment on the Hi-Point being a non-decent gun, nor the hint that I was some sort of an idiot. No one asked for your opinion on Hi-Points, but I guess guys like you just need to rip on them any chance you get. I see you don't have a Hi-Point "Listed" in your signature, and I suppose you wouldn't even use one you pound in a nail, but I am here to tell you mine shoots pretty good, and it's getting better. That's about all I'm going to debate on the quality of the gun in this thread a gun quality is not what the poster was looking for.

Can you please start another thread like "Hey Guys, let's rip on Hi-Points" as it gets tiring when guys like you feel you need to muddy up the useful information some are trying to find. You can then pretend you are "The Lone Ranger" in your new thread saving the world from the dangers of Hi-Points.

Take Care,

JSF
Old December 19, 2005, 12:47 PM   #12
Te Anau

I called Hi-Point a couple years ago to see if they advised against shooting steel cased Russian ammo and they said it would be fine to shoot it.
Old December 19, 2005, 03:13 PM   #13
kymasabe

Hey jsflagstad

I spoke with Hi-Point today and they said that firing a .357 bullet thru their gun is just plain dangerous. Their words, not mine.

If I thought you were an idiot, I would have said so.

And yes, I would use one to pound in a nail.

Last edited by kymasabe; December 20, 2005 at 06:49 PM.