The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2000, 03:58 PM   #1
Hal

Midway has a tumbler and accessory set on their web site. The price is $84.99 for the tumbler and rotary sifter. This set is about the same price as the Dillon tumbler alone. I know it isn't a Dillon, but is it a waste of money or a good deal?
Old January 5, 2000, 04:21 PM   #2
LongDuck

Good deal. I've had mine for about 6 months now and it performs very well. Loaded up with my range brass from IDPA matches, it's clean in about an hour and ready to go again. For the size, it can easily handle 250-300 .45 cases or 400-500 9mm cases without problems - rifle calibers may necessitate a larger tumbler, however.

The pack that they sell through MidwayUSA included a rotary sifter and bucket attachments which work well. In all, I'm very satisfied with mine and it does come with a lifetime guarantee. Works perfectly for my small space requirements.
Old January 5, 2000, 05:01 PM   #3
jtduncan

Don't waste your money. get the 1292 for $39.99 and a prospector sifter you can place over a big barrel to dump out the media.

Arms and hands can shake/sift the media for you.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Old January 5, 2000, 07:50 PM   #4
slickpuppy

OK, I'll bite.
Where do you find a prospector sifter JT?
Old January 5, 2000, 09:09 PM   #5
Hal

www.midwayusa.com has the 1292 for $49.00, and the prospector listed for $13.99, the pack, with both plus accessories, list the rotary pack as being $5.00 more than the prospector pack $84.99 vs $79.99. Since I also need media and polish the rotary pack looks like the best value.
Old January 6, 2000, 12:18 AM   #6
DAL

RAE, I've been using my Midway tumbler and accessory kit for less than a week, but I'm happy with it. I've cleaned a little over 1k of brass with it, mostly .38 Spl., and it's worked fine. The only problem I've encountered with the package was with the sifter handle--it doesn't seem to have sufficient grip to turn the sifter, it just slips. That's not a big problem, though, 'cause I just turn it with my hand.

BTW, I know it depends on the dirtiness of the brass, but does someone know approx. how many cases can be cleaned with a tumbler of corn cob media before it must be thrown out?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

Old January 6, 2000, 05:57 AM   #7
ML

I have used a Midway tumbler for a couple of years with good results, I purchased it as kit with the rotary sifter and media. I change the media when I can start to see it change color and load up with crap. I was given a couple thousand .357 and .38 splc cases that were in a crate and really dirty, I used some of my old and dirty media that I had not thrown out to tumble these cases and then tumbled them again in clean media. This seemed to work well. I have not used the tumbler for polishing as I can not see the point.

Good Luck
Old January 8, 2000, 01:37 PM   #8
dano1

dal,
had the same prob, i.e. handle slipping. Try turning the handle around so the half moons engage on the sifter and the handle. If ya already tried it sorry . Thought it was junk till i read the directions. Took me about a month to do that......
hth, danny

Old January 8, 2000, 04:57 PM   #9
Cave Man

Rae,
This is a good deal I bought mine four years ago, no problems. Midway puts them on sale about every three months for ten dollars off.
Hope this helps.
Old January 9, 2000, 11:38 PM   #10
alan

Have used a Midway 1292 tumbler for years, No problems with it yet.
Old January 13, 2000, 05:21 PM   #11
Hal

Guys, thanks for the replies. I kinda *weenied* and ended up buying a Dillon based on all the good things I've heard about Dillon. The Miday pack is still a viable option though. After running my first few batches of brass through, I think a second one, and the Midway fits the ticket, is a decent idea. Nice to know that when I decide to get another tumbler the Midway will be a good choice.