The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2000, 02:27 PM   #1
TMoney

Just curious if pecan shells would be too rough. Got a few million pounds I can either crush or use for fertilizer. I'm wondering whether anyone has ever tried it, and if so, with what kind of results. I appreciate whatever feedback you guys my have. Thanks, TMoney
Old January 4, 2000, 02:40 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

This is strictly my opinion as I have no experience with pecan media, only corn and walnut. I say grind up a few lbs and see what happens. You can't hurt any of your cartridges. If the pecan is rougher than walnut, then that would be a plus. No matter how tough it is it isn't tougher than brass.

You've got a few million pounds? If it works well as a media, you could go into business - sell it at gun shows, give it away to TFL members, use it as an alternative fuel, etc. In any case, I figure you have about a 1/2 million years supply of polishing media!
Old January 5, 2000, 05:41 AM   #3
TMoney

Not a problem, guys. I'll take the plunge. But before I get started, I printed your encouragements out, so if Mom gets upset about me using her blender, I'll have someone to blame. YAAAAHOOOOOOO!
Old January 7, 2000, 12:38 PM   #4
TEXAS LAWMAN

Have you thought about using "Mom's" favorite rolling pin? That ought to really blow her skirt up!!!
Old January 7, 2000, 04:25 PM   #5
jtduncan

Only the classic home-made bleach wash floating around the net.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Old January 8, 2000, 05:50 PM   #6
Bud Helms
Staff

Ooooh, TMoney,

A few million pounds? If this works I wanna know!

The inside of your Mom's blender may get a little foggy by the time the shells do their thing! The blades'll be shiny, though.

Blame it on the dog!
Old January 8, 2000, 09:22 PM   #7
slickpuppy

Don't blame it on the dog! If this works it sounds like I might need to buy more pecans!
Old January 10, 2000, 05:20 AM   #8
TMoney

I'm working on it right now (4:15am Monday). Crushing shells. I'm not going to guarantee any kind of granule consistency, but I will guarantee some sore muscles here and there. I'll be ready to tumble some brass in a few more hours. I'm taking a break.
I'm crushing them with a rolling pin on a cutting board inside an rectangled, plastic container. It seems to be working pretty well, but it is time consuming.
If I can figure out how to put pics on here, I'll give you the before and after versions.
I'll update you guys later. Terry

9:00am It's later...

To bring you up to date. I tumbled about two hours. Since the brass was not exceptionally dirty anyway, there was very little measureable change. I think it might work if, 1)the media is dry - this batch was freshly shelled this week, 2)the media must be finer - I had to dig it out, but that was expected.
I'm wondering whether there might be some chemical process the manufacturers perform on walnut and corn??
I have pics if anyone wants to check it out, but it's hard to see on a digital.
Thanks to all for your thoughts and input. I'm going to try again in a couple of months when the shells are dried. (Hope Mom doesn't need her rolling pin for awhile).

[This message has been edited by TMoney (edited January 10, 2000).]
Old January 10, 2000, 01:12 PM   #9
BigG

Anybody ever try cat litter, just curious?

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Old January 10, 2000, 04:46 PM   #10
Joe Portale

> so if Mom gets upset about me using her >blender, I'll have someone to blame. >YAAAAHOOOOOOO!

Man! I'm glad that I'm not the only one to do things like this. A fast story. I needed to clean 5000 9mm cases in a hurry. So I loaded 'em into nylon mesh laundry bags Mrs. Sidewinder had and tossed them into the dish washer. The bags melted and fell apart. The cases went all over the dish washer, banging and clacking making the most terrible noise you could imagine. The wife was not amused, nor did she believe me when I it was the dog's idea.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona territory

"The unarmed man is a subject, the armed man is a citizen."