The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 1999, 07:08 PM   #1
rblack

I am new to reloading and just made my first batch of .45acp loads. I am using the 4 die setup, crimping on the last die. I loaded 20 rds to test using 5.1gr of W231 under a 230gr lead rn bullet from Bullseye. I also used Winchester lg primers. I'll probably be shooting these from a gvn't 1911, or a Ruger P97. What kind of results should I get and what velocities. Thanks Rod Black
Old December 15, 1999, 10:39 PM   #2
TheOtherMikey

According to my Speer manual, you should be getting about 760fps. This is a nice target load. Happy shooting and happy reloading. Regards, Mikey
Old December 16, 1999, 11:40 AM   #3
jtduncan

Make several batches with different grainages. For target shooting, light loads tend to be best with high volume powders.

For action/defensive shooting, moderate to higher-end loads are best.

Your guns will tell you. Just shoot them and save the targets with the loads marked on them. Your targets will tell you which load is best. W231 is a popular brand for 45 shooters for a reason!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter

Old December 16, 1999, 03:13 PM   #4
Big Bunny

Sounds good to me !
Remember to wear eye and ear protection and watch that backstop, low velocity and heavy projectiles often richochet more easily.

Well done, have fun with your new hobby and buy a reloading maunual as soon as you can.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old December 16, 1999, 10:09 PM   #5
rblack

Thanks everyone for the info. I did buy the Lyman reloading book, but being new to the hobby I just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right. I have to leave for a couple weeks, so I won't have time to try out the new reloads until I return. Will post the results. Thanks again, Rod Black
Old December 16, 1999, 10:42 PM   #6
preacher

Your load sounds good but I would advise not accepting the velocity figures published in the reloading manuals. Some manuals use pressure barrels or different brands of guns. Also if you change any component at all there may be a difference in velocity, even if it is just a primer. First chance you get a little extra money invest in a chronograph. That will tell you what your load is doing in that particular gun. And if you are getting erratic velocities over a 5 or 10 shot string then you'll know you've got a pressure problem. Hope this helps.
Have fun!