The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 1999, 09:48 PM   #1
GreybeardB

Is anybody having trouble getting Varget powder ?

My supplier said Remmington had bought out Hodgdon's stock of Varget and none was available to the public.

Anyone else heard anything like this ?

------------------
Ralph in In.

Old December 3, 1999, 03:28 PM   #2
Patrick Graham

hmmm
Eariler this year I waited 2 months for T&T Reloading to ship me 16 lbs. of Varget.

Old December 3, 1999, 03:49 PM   #3
Joefo

Patrick, How do you like dealing with Tony at T&T? I have been dealing with him for many many years. He has good prices probably due to the fact that he has his own rig and picks up from the factories himself. I once ordered a set of Lee dies from him and he was out of stock. He sent me a set of Redding dies at the Lee price. Gee, break my heart. He does most of the shows in my area and if you e-mail him in advance he'll bring your order to the show and save you the shipping and hazmat. Tony is top shelf with me.

Joefo
Old December 4, 1999, 04:16 PM   #4
flatlander

There was a shortage of Varget about 3 months ago, which I attributed to prairie dog shooters and Camp Perry. I was told that a new shipment of 480,000 lbs. was in from Australia, and would be in the pipeline as soon as Hodgdon was able to package it. I was able to get a 8lb. keg back in September. Also, there was a story about the company in Australia that makes Varget going from privately owned to being owned by the government. Don't know if this is true, or how it will affect our supply if it is, but rumors fly around so quick anymore(especially on the 'net), that panic buying sets in over pretty silly things. Hope to visit with Hodgdon's about this at the SHOT Show next month and see what the powder situatuion really is.
Old December 4, 1999, 04:50 PM   #5
GreybeardB

flatlander,
I hear you on the rumor bit. Sure hope you're right on the 480,000# shipment.

It would be quite disgusting if Varget were to become unavailable.....probably the best powder Hodgdon has ever come up with.

But it is concievable that Remington would buy up the total stock, seeing as how they are comming out with an electronic ignition system on their new rifle which they will be manuracturing new primerless ammunition for.

Winchester followed the money trail & dropped WSL......the best powder they ever made.

I have e-mailed Hodgdon about the Varget but, don't realy expect an answer.

Sure doesn't sound good with the Austrailian government getting involved in anything firearms related,huh?

Thanks for the reply & let us know what you found out at the SHOT show.

------------------
Ralph in In.

Old December 7, 1999, 06:09 PM   #6
mbott

Ralph and all:

Received this reply from Phil Hodgdon.

"We do sell Varget to Remington. We have also had some shortages this
year. We do currently have Varget in stock so don't panic

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us any time.

Good Shooting,
Phil Hodgdon"
Old December 9, 1999, 01:17 PM   #7
Patrick Graham

Joefo
I like T&T prices.
They don't always have everthing in stock, but it's worth the wait.