The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 6, 2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Capt Charlie
Staff

Pop up of post from forum index not working

I noticed today that the pop up window that displays part of the text from posts in the forums index isn't working. Those were really a nice time saver in scanning posts. Any chance we can get them back?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 6, 2005, 06:07 PM   #2
Al Norris
Staff

Still works from my end, Charlie. Did you recently change something? Either in your profile or on your home 'puter?
Old December 6, 2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Capt Charlie
Staff

Hmmm. I'm on the computer at work, and there are so many "computer geniuses" toying with this thing all the time it's amazing it still works at all. I'll try it when I get home. Thanks Al.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 6, 2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Capt Charlie - if you find out what is preventing those popups, please let me know. I'd like to install whatever it is because I can't stand them. I know how to turn them off, but too many seem to depend on them.

10 to 1 your work computer has a popup blocker of some sort.
Old December 7, 2005, 05:34 PM   #5
Capt Charlie
Staff

Well Mal, if you want those pop-ups to stop, I found the secret. First you load up a ton of stuff and have it all running silently in the background. Then you forgo system maintenance for about two months, or until your system resources are down to about 30%, and they will stop. Of course, shortly thereafter, everything else will too . Turns out this computer at work had a ton of junk software in the quick start toolbar, along with another ton of spyware, "allegedly" from another captain downloading...um, "pictures". Took me over 2 hrs. to delete almost 3 gig of "interesting material", dump the spyware, and run a virus scan. So that's how you do it, but I think you'll find it more fun to just cuss them pop-ups .

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 7, 2005, 07:11 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

I think you're right! I'll stick with a clean machine and the darn popups.