The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 1999, 06:06 PM   #1
Mike_A

I can't seem to locate any data for a 300 gr
cast bullet using W296. The gun is a Redhawk with 7.5" barrel(or near there).
Also, is it possible for old ammo(or powder) to "intesify"? I shot some 240 gr in my Redhawk that was obviously not new and the recoil was very stout, more than I expected.
Thanx
Mike
Old September 1, 1999, 05:51 PM   #2
Paul B.

Mike. E-mail me and I can help you out. I use a cast bullet (RCBS 44-300) with gas check and W-296. One caveat. These loads shoot about 6 to 8 inches high at 25 yards with the rear sight screwed down as far as it will go. As a short range bear defensive thumper??? Outstanding. The recoil gets a bit stout though. My loads were worked up in a Ruger Super Blackhawk. They should be OK in your Redhawk. I finally just stayed with the starting load, but you can work all the way up if you want. These loads are NOT for S&W model 29 and 629 period! I don't give loads out on the forums due to liability problems.
Paul B.
Old September 3, 1999, 05:43 PM   #3
rw2astan

Great info is found at www.earp.net/44magnumbypaco.html Been using the suggested loads here(and they are MAX!) in my Super Blackhawk & should be grat in your readhawk. Very good site.
Old September 4, 1999, 07:18 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Old powders: Old Dupont IMR rifle powders, I have read, will decrease in potency with age and/or storage in above-80-degree temperatures. My personal experience tends to bear this out, in that some 1968-vintage .243 loads shoot about 2" lower than newer stuff. I've never noticed any pressure signs on 20-30 year old '06 stuff I've plinked away just to have an excuse to reload...

Don't know about modern pistol powders. I have some GI .45 ACP, EC '43, which still shoots about the same as it did in the 1970s-80s...(I found some 1921 vintage .45 ACP a couple of years back which had dead primers...)

FWIW, Art
Old September 4, 1999, 09:44 PM   #5
Paul B.

Mike. Just re-read your post. Was that stout 44 ammo factory or reloads? The first 44 mag ammo (commercial) was a hell of a lot hotter than the garbage put out by the big three. I believe it was downloaded because it was tearing the model 29's up. I have a 629 that after 2 to 3 hundred rounds of factory has to go to the shop and be rebuilt. What do you expect from a design made around 1905? If that ammo you got happened to be 1955-57 vintage, that would explain it.
Paul B.
Old September 5, 1999, 09:58 AM   #6
Mike_A

Paul, these were Remington, 240 gr, jhp's. I think that factory "full house" loads were hotter 20 years ago. I guessed this age because they did have the green and yellow box with the styrofoam insert. So they could not have been too much older than that, I don't think. I did email you for your loads did you get my email? Thanx to all that have replied and all that are still thinking about it.
-Mike
Old September 5, 1999, 07:16 PM   #7
Paul B.

Mike. I did not get your E-mail. Try again.
I'm not blocked.
Paul B.
Old September 13, 1999, 08:39 AM   #8
Mike_A

Paul, I have tried to email you twice but no reply and the mail has not bounced. The address listed here [email protected]
is that correct?
Mike
Old September 13, 1999, 03:22 PM   #9
Paul B.

Mike. The address is right. let me try to E-mail you, and you can use the reply function. Maybe we can connect that way.
Paul B.
Old September 17, 1999, 02:55 PM   #10
Mike_A

Paul, I replied to your email but have not heard back. Did you get it?
-Mike
Old September 17, 1999, 04:26 PM   #11
Walt Welch

You gentlemen are aware of the pearl printed some time ago in the American Rifleman? Gas cutting of the top strap was and is common in high pressure revolvers.

This is actually, it has been determined, caused by powder granules hitting the top strap. It can be prevented by degreasing the area, and rubbing a soft carpenter's pencil (the ones with the rectangular cross section) on the top strap, immediately above the bbl. The graphite protects the steel.

Hope this helps, Walt