The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 6, 2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Lanza_x

JLD PTR vs genuine HK91 vs DSA FAL vs Bushmaster .308

accuracy, reliability, ease of maintenanced, ergonomics, scope-ability?
cost isn;t really an issue I'm in iraq right now and have been saving money all year for a new 7.62 rifle to buy when I get back to the states this winter.
keep in mind that the bushmaster .308 accepts FAL magazines.
I already own a springfield M1A scout squad and find it somewhat limited in application due to its crappy safety which is poor for reflexive fire, non-pistol grip stock which makes it kind of uncomfortable to carry in the low ready stance and dips low to prevent a good cheek weld when using optics, and a picatinny mount which is not in a good location for magnified optics . I want something that's 7.62, is available in carbine form (short barrel collapsible stock) and is good for mounting optics. I'm already familiar with the AR I own a bushmaster xm15 carbine and have used m16s/m4s in the army for years.
bushmaster makes a great ar15 but the with the weapon system in general I am tired of how damn long it takes to clean it though and the general crappiness of magazines available for it. I think every malfunction ive ever had as been because of a bad magazine.
I'm also interested to know the differences between JLD PTR91s and real HK91s, and also genuine FALs versus DSA FALs.

Please Help!
Old August 7, 2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Southern Cross

I was looking into getting a JLD PTR not too long ago. Everything I have read said they were just as excellent as the real HK and even exceeded the HK in some aspects. There was in issue of Weapons of Law Enforcement (I think!) a month or two ago that had a really good write up about the JLD. Since they use all of the original drawings and tooling of HK with modern techniques they are improved.
Old August 7, 2005, 12:19 PM   #3
AK103K

I dont have any experience with the Bushy .308's, but if they have all the bugs worked out of them, I'd probably go with that. With a flat top you get the choice of sights you want and can change them at will with the right mounts. I like the 1.5x5 Leupold's or something similar for these types of rifles. With one scope you can use it like a set of iron sights on the lowest power and still have some reach with the 5x. I have basically this set up on an Armalite M15A4(T) and it works very well. I've owned a couple of HK91's and always liked them. They are every bit as accurate as an M1A/M14. With the ARMS claw mount, they are very versatile and easily scoped or descoped. You dont need a cheek pad(most of the time) either due to how the stock is set up. You also get to keep the iron sights while the scope is on the gun and use them to if you want. I used to keep a Beeman SS 3 1.5x4 on an ARMS mount for mine. Its a tiny scope that works well and both it and the mount would fit in a large pocket. The HK's are just as dirty if not more so to clean as the AR's due to their fluted chambers, so you dont get off easy there. I'm not a FAL fan. I know they have come a long way, but they were never accurate enough for me. I'm not big on the clones either. If an original is available and I have the money, I'd spend it on the original. To many junkers of unknown quality floating around. If your going to go that route, I'd insist on shooting it first and wring it out. I know thats not always possible, but personally, I would not buy it unless I could shoot it first myself.
Old August 7, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Stiletto

But the HK-type drum sights are so damn SEXY...
Old August 7, 2005, 01:50 PM   #5
gxi.llc

If you want optics, DSA 58.
Old November 27, 2005, 04:21 PM   #6
michael sprowls

ptr and original hk

Just bought a PTR and I love it. The new PTR was half the price of the used Hk-91s that I have seen around NE Oklahoma. The PTR also came with a collapsible stock and an 18" heavy (well, heavier...) barrel. In the owners manual J.L.D states the gun is equipped with a two-stage trigger, although like the original HKs, its still too heavy. Im sending mine off for a trigger job next paycheck. I'll have a better comparison for you when I put it up against my buddys preban Hk-91 in the next few weeks.
Old November 27, 2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Average Joe

Good guns, The PTR-91 is on my next purchase list.
Old November 27, 2005, 06:53 PM   #8
DannyB KY

So where, if at all, does the DPMS 308 come into play?

Darn sexy in my book! 16, 18 and 24 inch bull barrels!

DPMS 308

S&W M 27-2
Trusty old family 12ga
New toy in the near future. But not sure what!!

USAF MSgt Retired 1977-1998------------ Ft Knox-French Range----------Knob Creek Range----
Old November 27, 2005, 11:56 PM   #9
5pins

Bushmaster has discontinued their AR in .308.
http://www.bushmaster.com/m17s308.asp