The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 1999, 03:25 PM   #1
kitman

My friend bought some 45 auto reloads at a resent gun show. He didnt know his brothers gun was a 40s&w. He gave me the ammo about 100 rounds. Should I worry about shooting it in my colt 1911. I have checked the ammo over and over again and it all seems to be the right size the right lenth no dents on the cases or damage. Is there anything I should look out for? thanks all!

------------------
"Its hard doing nothing, You never know when you are finished."
Old June 18, 1999, 03:36 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I'm assuming the brass is all tumble-polished and shiny? Anyhow, I've never had trouble with gun-show reloads. Most of those guys load a bit under max to avoid claims of blown-up guns and lawsuits and all that...

BUT: You're on your own...Me, I'd shoot'em.
Old June 18, 1999, 10:43 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

The only thing I worry about when using other peoples reloads is the possibility of a double charge. This is a low probability but not a zero probability.

You can give yourself a higher chance of not having a double charge by simply weighing each round. If you find any that are more than about 4 grains heavier than the average of the others, then that one would be suspicious. I can guarantee that they will all weigh a different amount, but for a .45 ACP, a 3 or 4 gr range should be about right. This method works only for identical headstamps.