The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2005, 07:49 PM   #26
Long Path

Quote:
I have a Marlin 1895CB in .45-70 that's been cut to 22" all the joints have been soldered the action smoothed and the trigger done up real nice and smooth.

That little turkey shoots an inch all day long at 100 yards with Ashley Ghost rings.

My other lever is a M-99 savage EG with the schnobled fore end. That rifle was built in the late 1950's and has that super cool brass rotary magazine.

It is also topped with AO Ghost Rings.

Also in the safe is a real nice older Marlin 336 in 30-30.
Shouldn't these statements have been accompanied by pics, H&H? We know well that you have a digicam. Git to it! Bring 'em hither.
Old November 22, 2005, 11:12 PM   #27
taylorce1

Now this is a cool rifle too bad I don't have the money to buy this one it cost more than my house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 324697_1000_01s.jpg (7.1 KB, 66 views)
Old November 22, 2005, 11:28 PM   #28
FirstFreedom

This is pretty tangential, but....

It occurred to me while hunting in the cold this weekend that a large loop lever (so-called 'winter loop') on a lever gun is going to be pretty worthless because the idea is you can chamber with a pair of mittens on, but if you have mittens on, then you're trigger finger is not gonna be exposed and thus not able to fire. And if you're wearing gloves, such that you can fire, all you need is an ordinary lever. The only imaginable way a large loop lever could be useful is if you're using a split-finger 2-part mitten that has an independent insert for your index/trigger finger, and the other 3 fingers in a mitten unto themselves, for lack of a better description.