The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 8, 2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Paddle Holsters

I currently own and ever now and then wear my paddle holster for my 1911 A-1 full government. I recently put on order a paddle holster for my Colt Official Police revolver. A problem that occurs is that when I draw the 1911, sometimes the holster will pull right off my belt with the gun. Reason being is that the width of my belt is too small. I have to wear bigger belt. I can do this okay when wearing something casual like blue jeans, however if I am wearing a suite or even a sportcoat and tie, a larger belt looks kinda...out of place. Is there a way to adjust these holsters or do they come in different sizes or what. Am I just having a bad experience with one holster? I hope my revolver holster isn't like this when I get it... I ordered it from Don Hume. I wear the OP more than any of my handguns.
Old November 8, 2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Japle

Your belt not only has to be wide enough, it also has to be thick and stiff. Fobus and Blade-Tech paddle holsters work fine for me with a 1 1/2" Dillon belt. It's very heavy-duty.

A regular-weight dress belt won't do the job.

John
Cape Canaveral
Old November 8, 2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Hollywood D

I had a fobus paddle holster (that ended up being the wrong one, older discontiuned model, long story, anyways) and I had to put one hand on the holster and one on the gun to remove it because the tension on the holster way way too much. On top of that, it never once came loose from my pants. I wear slacks, button down dress shirt and skinny belt every day for work. I was giving myself wedgies lmfao. The holster wasn't going anywhere. The design of the paddle was that good. I had to actually put a lot of effort just to remove the holster from my pants. Try a fobus, they are cheap too. $25.
Old November 9, 2005, 07:25 AM   #4
Jkwas

+1 on the fobus. They stay put for me also.
Old November 9, 2005, 12:20 PM   #5
woodland

I like the Uncle Mikes ones. They have a little adjustable hook thingy on the paddle that hooks under the waist band seem of your pants. I have never had ot pull off with the gun. It takes two hands to get the holster. I have worn it many times with no belt at all, and it worked fine. The tension is also adjustable, too.
Old November 9, 2005, 12:36 PM   #6
clt46910

I use paddle holsters often and have for a number of years. I use to run in and out of goverment locations a lot. Now a days it is more schools and courthouses. I have found that the cheaper ones do not work well. The two I use the most are a Safariland for my Sig 228 and a Binachi #56L for my Mod 66. I have used both with thinner dress belts without a problem.

The Safariland has a hook that will catch under your belt if it decides to try and come out with the gun. I have had that happen a couple of times but was only when I wore a very thin belt and was not very tight. The holster only rode up a little bit and the plastic hook caught. Not really a problem to me. Not sure the Model number on this holster, but has 5181 K93 on the back of it.

The Binachi uses a stiff paddle covered in rough leather but I mostly wear this holster with bluejeans and a thicker belt so it does hold rather well. I don't remember drawing the gun the couple times I wore it with dress pants and thinner belts. I do know it is not easy to take off without unbuckling my belt.

I have a Fobus for the Sig and it works quite well but I find the Safariland more comfortable to wear.

Have you thought about putting a small piece of velcro on the paddle toward your pants, between the holster and paddle? The velcro may grab the material of your pants enough to keep the holster in place. I do this with the consoles I use in my mini-van. I use only the hook side and the stick-on type. It keeps the aftermarket consoles from sliding around on the carpet. Might work on your paddle holster.
Old November 9, 2005, 09:06 PM   #7
Dog Confetti

The Uncle Mike's are great...I've never needed a belt with mine, and the tension is adjustable. The downside is they stink for concealment.
Old November 9, 2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Walter

I have a "High Noon" paddle holster for my CZ RAMI .40, and it is an
excellent holster. I don't wear it often, but when I need it, I know it
will do it's job.

Most days I pack my RAMI in a Don Hume 'IWB' holster made for
the USP Compact. It fits like a glove, and it is a good holster.
Most importantly, it is comfortable.

Walter
Old November 14, 2005, 08:28 PM   #9
Bob F.

My Rocket Man Low Rider (Kydex) was great for concealment and easy on & off. Notice I said was. After many, many on's & off's over 2 yrs the hinge thingy has finally given up. At $50 it's almost 2x's the Fobus, but a helleva lot more concealable. My Uncle Mike's requires dropping drawers, hammer and screwdriver to remove. Thanks, anyway. They say a gun can be stripped out of a Fobus simply by downward pressure popping the rivets (one of which was missing from mine, new).

Stay safe.
Bob
Old November 14, 2005, 08:47 PM   #10
john in jax

My first choice in a paddle holster is Safariland's 518, second choice is the Fobus. I have an Uncle Mike's nylon paddle, it does NOT have the hook like the Safariland and it is only a year old but seems to have "loosened-up" so that if your belt is not tight the gun and holster slide and shift. That doesn't happen with the Safariland and I've been carring a full size .45 in it for +/-20 years.
Old November 14, 2005, 09:31 PM   #11
Dwight55

Doug, . . . take a look at Galco's "Fed" paddle, I have one for my Springer full size 1911, . . . and it is great, . . . albeit a bit pricey.

I wear it with any size belt, . . . my worst complaint is that sometimes it is a real pain to get off, . . . but that is usually with Wallyworld jeans.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp...=349&GunID=157

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old November 15, 2005, 01:34 AM   #12
Hayley

Dwight: I have a Galco Speed paddle for a J-frame and also have trouble taking-it-off. I think I'm gonna unholster and secure the revolver in my vehicle if I have to go unarmed and keep the holster on my belt. ('course even that may not be well liked in the court house!)
Old November 15, 2005, 11:47 PM   #13
John 242

I also have a 1911 that I carry in a Fobus holster. I picked it up used for $9.
I have not had a problem with the holster staying put. It may move a little bit forward and backward during use, but it is not very noticeable.

A couple issues with the Fobus;
1) My holster doesn't seem to have a lot of weapon retention. This hasn't been a problem, yet.
2) I have noticed that the Fobus holster seems to wear a finish really fast, and in certain places. No big deal to me, but it may be to you. Any holster will wear a finish, at least to some extent.

Positives;
1) As I said, the holster remains clamped to my waist, regardless of what belt I use, yet I can easily remove the holster when ever I choose.
2) Only cost me $9. YMMV. $20-25?
3) The plastic is very durable.
4) It will accommodate all lengths of 1911s- Officers, Commander, Full size.
Take care,
John
Old November 16, 2005, 05:55 PM   #14
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
A problem that occurs is that when I draw the 1911, sometimes the holster will pull right off my belt with the gun.
This will never happen with a G-CODE holster. I designed the paddle to provide more “bite” then anything out there. It’s a tactical disaster if a holster comes out with the gun on the draw.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old November 16, 2005, 07:13 PM   #15
tshadow6

paddle hoslters

I sell Fobus paddle holsters, conatact me via the for sale forums on this site. I am sure I can get you the holster you need.
Old November 16, 2005, 07:18 PM   #16
methius

Walther p99

Scott
In regards to your G-code line Is there a IWB holster made for a Walther p99 QA 4" barrel? .40. I currently own a Fobus it does the job.... But I would like to conceal it a bit more. Im a construction worker so heavy pants and belts are no real problem. but I believe an IWB holster might be the trick.
Thanks Methius

Shoot straight
Shoot fast....
Aim small miss small.
Old November 17, 2005, 07:19 PM   #17
jtnmb77

+2 on the Galco FED bit pricey but lasts. Mine is around 4 years old still as nice and tight as the day I got it. Worn at least 5 out of 7 days a week. Still have a hard time getting it off sometimes.