The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 1998, 12:22 PM   #1
fledwell

Does anyone have a good 200 gr lead cast load for Cowboy Action shooting? The loads I have tried vary a lot depending on whether the gun is pointed up or down before firing.

Old December 5, 1998, 05:16 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Fledwell: I assume you're using a pretty light load? Back when God and I were a lot younger, I read of folks using oatmeal on top of the powder, in very light loads, with the bullet compressing everything to prevent mixing.

For the hell of it, one time, I used my 200-gr SWC .45ACP load of 5.8 gr of 231, but in my .44 Mag with 255-gr bullets. Lots of empty case, there. I noticed no "irregularity". If it's the powder which might make a difference, maybe, alternatively, a Bullseye light load? It's easily ignited, which might make the difference if you don't like the oatmeal idea.

Gun-tilt of muzzle-up or -down makes a group-size difference in a Garand, too, with GI ammo. It's nothing new...

Best regards and good luck.
Old December 6, 1998, 08:05 PM   #3
Grayfox

I'm a great fan of the .45 Colt and I've found that this cartridge performs best with heavy bullets. Try a 250 gr RNFP over 7.0 to 8.0 grs of Unique. Also, try using magnum pistol primers, they seem to work better due to the large case capacity.
Old December 10, 1998, 03:39 PM   #4
Walt Welch

Any load that perceptably varies with a muzzle up or down positioning before firing scares me. You are obviously getting a wide swing in pressures.

Art; are you sure you mean oatmeal? Back when God and I were both young what I used was cornmeal.

The difference in velocity with the 30-06 is of a different magnitude. I recall a sargeant who used to be able to work the action in a Springfield in two different manners, both of which appeared to be the same, but would print differently on the target. There was no apprecable difference in recoil, or muzzle blast, however.

Please advise what caliber you are using, what powder, how much, and OAL of cartridges.
If, as I suspect, you are using .45 Colt, you could be in deep trouble shortly. A few years ago there was an article in one of the gun rags where a guy detonated a SAA with a load of green dot, which he had used for years, and was a safe load. The only difference was a change from 250gr. bullets to 200 gr. bullets, increasing cartridge case volume.

The damage to the gun can be distinguished if the cause is detonation, vs a double load, BTW.

The reason why many loads are excluded from loading manuals is because of non-uniformity from shot to shot.

Please advise more details, and I will see if I can help. BTW, some gun mag, either American Handgunner, or American Rifleman, had an article on Cowboy shooting and loads for same about six months ago. Walt