The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 15, 2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Left-Hander

Whats your vote for...

The best squirrel gun? Would it be a rimfire rifle, or a shotgun, or mayde one of those combo rifle/shotguns?
Old August 15, 2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Quickdraw Limpsalot

I usually reach for my none-too-pretty Ruger 10/22 w/ a low powered cheapie Simmons scope. Ol' reliable.
Old August 15, 2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Clayfish

yup, .22. Your not spitting out #7 pellets at dinner.
Old August 15, 2005, 04:37 PM   #4
arthurrh

I love my .17 HMR for that. Flat shooting and fun.
Old August 15, 2005, 06:07 PM   #5
Big Yac

I loved my 5mm magnum for squirrels until I found out a few years ago that ammo was very rare and expensive for it. Now it just stays in the safe and the remaining 300 rounds dont get shot
Old August 15, 2005, 06:59 PM   #6
butch50

410 shotgun. You don't have to worry about sending a bullet into the next county.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 15, 2005, 07:31 PM   #7
impact

I have to agree with butch on that one. Plus it's much easier to hit a moving squirrel with a 410.

I vote for 410 because one of my buddies said "a 410 is the best darn squirrel rifle you can get"
Old August 15, 2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Edward429451

Butch/Impact....tsk tsk. You guys are cheating I hope you know.
Old August 15, 2005, 08:07 PM   #9
butch50

Edward429451

I was raised up in cattle country, and we were taught very strict backstop rules for hunting with rifles. We weren't so much concened with hitting a human in the next county as someones cow.

I have hunted many a squirrel into the stew pot with a .22, but have hunted a zillion times more into the stew pot with a 410. With the .22 you have to have a shot that puts the bullet into a solid piece of the tree, which is an unnecessary pita if you are hungry for squirrel stew.

I will put it this way. The .22 is my preferred "hunting squirrels for sport" choice because then I am not actually concerned if I get one or not, and they are more fun to shoot that way.

The 410 though is my preferred "hunting squirrels for food" choice because it is, A: a safer choice and B: Will greatly improve the odds of eating squirrel that night. Although I have noticed that 410 shells have gotten pretty expensive.

And if any of you are shooting squirrels (or anything else) and not eating them, there is a special place in hell for you.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 15, 2005, 08:41 PM   #10
Edward429451

I know Butch, just kiddin around. I used to give my small game buddy the same crap for using a SG befor he moved away. He always got more than I did with my 22 b/c I couldn't always take the shot as you say. With a SG, it just seems too easy though!

I eat my squirrels too. Mmmmmustard!
Old August 15, 2005, 08:47 PM   #11
butch50

Near my fathers place there is a pecan orchard, it has about 2,000 trees in it. If you know the owner he will let you hunt squirrels, but only with a .22. He doesn't want to sell pecans that might have shotgun pellets in them that could chip some unsuspecting persons teeth. He isn't afraid of lawsuits, because who could ever trace a pecan to it's source, but he is a gentleman and is doing what he thinks is right.

Guess how many squirrels you can find in 2,000 pecan trees?

Old August 15, 2005, 09:34 PM   #12
22-rimfire

I agree with Butch on the philosophy of hunting squirrels with either a shotgun or 22 rifle. You do have to be more careful with your shots with a rifle and anyone who isn't is a fool. I've also been "rained on" by shotgun pellets more than a couple of times while bow hunting... that makes you feel a bit creepy.

The pecan comment was interesting. Years ago (in Texas of all places), I was eating a steak at one of those quick steak places (Western Siz or something) and almost broke a tooth on shotgun pellets imbeded into the steak. No big thing until I kept finding them. Probably picked out 10 pellets from one steak. Those most have been big squirrels.
Old August 16, 2005, 10:11 AM   #13
Left-Hander

I too was also concerned about using a .22 because of the 1-and-a-half mile range that it has. So it looks like I will be using my 16ga. this season. Will the sixteen be a good choice for tree rats, or should I go to a smaller gauge?
Old August 19, 2005, 03:04 PM   #14
Lance5050

Guages

Lefty...I would think 16 guage would be fine. I used to hunt with my buddy - I used a 20 guage and he used a 12 guage. Both worked fine (he had to be a bit more careful on close shots so as not to atomize them).

I agree with the others on the shot vs rifle issue. I personally don't want to have to worry about shooting somebody. My father-in-law told me how when he was a boy in Idaho riding home from school on his bike he took a stray .22 right in the mouth. No telling where it came from.

I also remember sitting out at grandpas house when folks were squirrel hunting in the woods across the road. He had a detached garage with a tin roof and every now and then you could hear the sprinkles as the shot rained down. At least it couldn't hurt you.
Old August 19, 2005, 03:27 PM   #15
zeisloft

10/22 ...every time.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old August 19, 2005, 04:25 PM   #16
butch50

Quote:
The pecan comment was interesting. Years ago (in Texas of all places), I was eating a steak at one of those quick steak places (Western Siz or something) and almost broke a tooth on shotgun pellets imbeded into the steak. No big thing until I kept finding them. Probably picked out 10 pellets from one steak. Those most have been big squirrels.
We definitely have some big squirrels in Texas, but squirrel "steak" is a treat I havent actually run into yet.

Old October 16, 2005, 05:22 PM   #17
kirbymagnum

it depends on your budjet how far you are shooting etc. If you are close a 22lr will do the job but if you are shooting farther a 22mag will do the job and you will have more fun to. How much damage and how will the squirls fly with a 17hmr i heard they have some good smach with a smoking 2550 fps
Old October 16, 2005, 09:50 PM   #18
MTMilitiaman

I prefer my 10/22. Since I have put a bull barrel, laminate stock, and 4.5-14 scope on it, it isn't quite as handy as it used to be to carry around, but it still points well. In my experience, a good rimfire is more accurate to greater range and a good hollow point is more effective at most ranges than smaller round pellets. With my 10/22, I know I can thread a single projectile through the canopy 50 yards when the bushy tail shows up where I did't think he would. Also, when I am hunting squirrels, I am usually also on the look out for rabbits and tree squirrels as well. My dad refuses to load #6 or 4 shot and I have seen too many ground squirrels and rabbits with patterns of 7 1/2 shot centered on them escape to holes or nearby cover. The only time I use a scattergun any more is when I know I am in a more residential area. Then I will take my Wingmaster out.
Old October 17, 2005, 07:53 AM   #19
Jack O'Conner

I prefer a single shot break open 16 gauge shotgun with full choke. Low base #6 shells. A good choice for jack rabbits too.
Jack
Old October 30, 2005, 08:36 PM   #20
kirbymagnum

depends how far if it is close 22lr if it is far 17 mach 2 or if you want to have lots of fun 17hmr
Old October 30, 2005, 11:12 PM   #21
Dave Haven

If you just wanna splode 'em, a .222 with Hornady 50 grain SXSPs (Super eXplosive Soft Point) is even MORE fun. And cheaper to reload than buying .17HMRs.
Hunting them for meat, I'd use a shotgun or a .22LR. Or an air rifle.
Old October 30, 2005, 11:34 PM   #22
mdhunter

.22 Win Mag

I like my Ruger Model 77 with 3x9 variable .22 Mag scope......that I picked up 2 years ago - for MANY years before that, I preferred my Remington Model 571 single shot .22 long rifle with 2x7 scope.

I still hunt, and the squirrels get back to normal activity faster after a .22 Mag or .22 long rifle shot than they do after a .410 or 12 gauge shot. Sure I have to pass up some shots for safety reasons, but it always seems to even out over the course of a season as I make a few long shots (50-80yards) that wouldn't have worked with the shotguns.

Have shot at a few squirrels with my bow and blunt tips, haven't hit one yet.

Michael
Old October 31, 2005, 12:44 AM   #23
Big Yac

would a 25-20 be too much for squirrels? I'm thinking maybe it would be
Old November 2, 2005, 04:07 PM   #24
john in jax

Savage 24F or 24V = 22LR over 12ga or 20ga

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchR...0&Keywords=24f