The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2000, 06:57 PM   #1
Jamie Young

Can anyone give me any good info on Counties in Pa for Bear Hunting? I'm tired of watching videos that teach you how to Bait Black Bears. Anyone in here Hunt Bear in Pa and what County are you from? I've been in parts of Burks where there are Bear but I'm willing to head farther north into seclusion.
Old October 26, 2000, 04:37 AM   #2
smitty21

I heard Schuylkill Co. is good. The area around Hawk Mountain. Also, Potter Co. up near Coudersport. I did some turkey hunting there one year and saw 2 bear.
Old October 26, 2000, 11:11 AM   #3
RobCon

I am in Lycoming County and bears are a major problem this year near homes. The game warden for this area tells me every trap they have is out now. I am certain that area farmers and cabin owners would cheerfully point you in the right direction.
Old October 26, 2000, 05:00 PM   #4
Jamie Young

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smitty21:
I heard Schuylkill Co. is good. The area around Hawk Mountain. Also, Potter Co. up near Coudersport. I did some turkey hunting there one year and saw 2 bear.[/quote]

Smitty I actually do most of my hunting right near Hawk Mountain but I heard about 4 or 5 years ago the Game commision trapped about a dozen or more bears from that mountain and most of the residents haven't seen bear there in a few years. Do you know anyone that actually got a bear up there? I'm curious to know.

------------------
"Bring 'Em on.... I prefer a Straight Fight to all this sneaking around"
Han Solo
Old October 26, 2000, 09:01 PM   #5
smitty21

No, I don't know anyone that has taken one there. I hunt on the game lands adjacent to Hawk Mountain. I used to see a lot of bear sign and a couple guys that we talked to up there say there are some pretty hefty ones running around. I don't know if this helps you.
Old October 27, 2005, 09:45 PM   #6
Hoyt3

My question is what are some proven ways to hunt bears in Pa, i hunt in bradford county. im thinking of this year climbing high on a ridge on the side of a mountain and watching farmland and swamps below me and glassing , and maybe still hunting swamps and hardwood forests and possibly driving with our group. I like the idea of glassing since every group in the county that hunts bears I think drives them, lol maybe i can ambush one
Old October 28, 2005, 05:35 AM   #7
mete

In the last few years the top bears taken in PA were over 800 lbs !! Most of them were from Pike Co. That's one of the best counties for bear. I'll be hunting deer there but not bear though I have met face to face a 400 lb bear that lives on that land.There seem to be lots of bear in Pike and Sullivan Co NY this year,I've seen many.
Old October 30, 2005, 08:44 PM   #8
22-rimfire

Look at the county kill summary reports for last year and you will see where the higher density of black bears are. Generally the best areas are from I-80 north. Second best is from the turnpike north to I-80. There are a lot of bear now even in Central Pa where traditionally there were not many 10-15 years ago. Pocono area is always good.
Old October 31, 2005, 07:15 AM   #9
Jack O'Conner

My daughter worked all summer as a Counselor at Twin Pines Camp near Stoudsburg. A bear raided the large garbage dumpster for several weeks. It even stayed around after a heavy chain was installed. I'd ask around for permission, I'm guessing many local folks want this bear "removed".
Jack