The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 8, 2005, 11:38 PM   #1
H&K4Life

"Starter tournment" IDPA or USPSA (IPSC)

Ok. I am not trying to fuel the grand debate, I am going to enter a tournment, and was wondering which one to start off with the DPA or the PSA? (no I can't just choose one, I have to do both)

I look at the IPSC and just wonder, "Why they just don't go ahead and call it the STI PSC" because that is what most guys use anyway. Hell, they even promote the 30th anniversary race gun on the IPSC site!

Will the usual belt, holster, 2 mag carrier, 1911, ears and eyes be enough to play in the IPSC or would I just be better off sticking with the IDPA?

(why not call it the 2011 Invitational)
Old October 9, 2005, 06:24 AM   #2
DeltaWhiskey

I just shot my first USPSA match last month and basically went with the same rig you just mentioned (used a CZ 75B instead of the 1911). I shot what is called production class and on that particular day they were pleanty of fellows shooting the same thing. Those are the guys you're shooting against, you just get to watch and be amazed with the dudes who bring out the Open class pistols with all of the geegaws and doohickies attached.

I had a good time, but think I still prefer IDPA.
Old October 9, 2005, 09:55 AM   #3
kymasabe

I prefer IPSC....production class.
Old October 9, 2005, 01:29 PM   #4
Christopher II

I prefer USPSA. Higher round count, higher level of competition, more consistent rule base.

Most USPSA shooters who are (A.) seriously invested in the game, and (B.) shooting in Limited or Open Division shoot a double-stack 1911. Reason is simple - double-stack 1911s are the best guns for that particular game.

There's nothing that says you have to shoot a double-stack 1911. I shoot a Glock 35 in Limited and do quite well. In Production Division, you can shoot almost anything - Glock 17, Springfield XDs, and CZ-75s are all popular. There are some weirdos who shoot Open Glocks and CZs, even.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old October 10, 2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Zak Smith

Shoot one of each and see where YOU have more fun.

A single-stack 1911 is fine for USPSA "Limited 10". I shot one there for over a year. You might want more mag carriers, however. I used 4, 10-round Wilson mags.

Not sure why all the snide comments about the SV/STI double-stack. It's basically a 1911 that takes wider mags.