The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 15, 2000, 04:45 PM   #1
SEAN WILLIAMS

upon disassembly of the mags for my S & W 40VE, i noticed that there are two speed bumps, or indentations on the inside of the magazine body and that the base of the magazine spring (about 3/4 of an inch) is compressed. my question is how, or can I(?) turn these 10 round mags into higher cap mags. No flames please, I just cant' afford to buy new pre ban hi caps mags, and keep my wife happy
Old March 15, 2000, 05:48 PM   #2
BBBBill

Legally, you would be in hot water if caught. As to how you would go about it, I'm told by experts that anyone who provided that information could be charged with a conspiracy rap if they knew that you were actually going to try it. I don't agree with the law, but that is one that at this time, I choose not to make a stand on.
I recommend that you just suck it up & use as is or save for some high caps. i occasionally come across good deals on high caps on the auction sites & at gun shows. Sometimes they are quantity deals at good per mag prices. If more than you want, maybe you could split a buy with a friend who has the same model gun.
Please don't risk your freedom over 5 rounds of ammo capacity.
Old March 15, 2000, 06:16 PM   #3
SEAN WILLIAMS

thanks for the reply. Wow, I really had now idea that gun legislation in our country was that oppressive I mean I know things are getting bad, but... and I thought I was in the know on things like this.
Old March 15, 2000, 09:15 PM   #4
Banzai

If you look closely, your mag is a piece of folded steel that is held together by small spot welds on the back. There is a parting line where the back comes together. Grinding out those bumps will defeat the welds, thus leaving you with a useless paperweight sleeve that won't work!

Tom

PS I Echo what BBBBill said, it's just not worth it.

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Old March 16, 2000, 11:04 AM   #5
SEAN WILLIAMS

Thanks for the reply's, I guess I'll just have to save up for a couple of hi-caps, or 10 rounders
Old March 17, 2000, 11:59 PM   #6
gunmart

if you need high cappers for the 40 i got some there $55