The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 3, 2005, 03:09 PM   #1
MeanStreaker

Help me understand gun belts

It makes sense that the belt should be almost as important as the holster for consistent carry/presentation of the weapon. Therefore, what specifically makes a belt a "gun belt?" Are there certain standards you folks adhere to as to thickness, stitching, etc? Has anyone found a belt not designed for a gun that fits this criteria? What's the best belt you've found at a reasonable price?

I just ordered a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion holster for a 1.5" belt for my Springfield XD9 4" Service model if it matters.
Old October 3, 2005, 03:34 PM   #2
mete

The belt for a holster is stiffer which may mean thicker material or muliple layers stitched firmly together. Get the right width for the holster [and belt loops too] since the belt should not roll over sag or fit loosely with the holster.
Old October 3, 2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Mr_Dove

Here's a review of a gun belt that someone wrote on this forum. I'm not advocating the specific belt but he discusses issues that are important to any gun belt.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ighlight=liger
Old October 3, 2005, 04:33 PM   #4
2ksportny

I have 2 belts that I use for carry. One I bought at a local flea market from a leather person it is approx: 1/4" thick leather & about 1-1/2" to 2" wide, w/double wholes for the buckle clips to fit into, it is not real stiff but the leather is good & it pulls real tight & holds beautifully with my desantis holster & glock, I also paid a whopping $2 for it since it was closing time, I guess he just wanted to get rid of whatever he could.
My other belt is just a dress belt that is a really hard leather, I bought it at kolhs on sale one day, I dont use this one to much anymore since I bought the newer belt which works a lot better.
Old October 3, 2005, 05:04 PM   #5
ClarkEMyers

What does it for me is a reputable maker calls it a gun belt

More specifically to answer your question as I understand it - there are laminated belts and belts with velcro to avoid the tells of some styles of clips and other characteristics such that I don't say one belt is thicker or stiffer or all leather or horsehide or sharkskin or.... and therefore better.

I trust the maker on stitching and material or I don't -

Sure for casual use I have belts that might be called western or ranger style or Wal-Mart for workpants that do OK and I wouldn't hesitate to trust my judgment on a belt at a Ren Faire or some such but it would be gut feel not stitch count - I don't know the difference between linen and synthetic stitches.

Then too I consider a dressy looking belt that really is a gun belt to be part of a concealed rig. For bargains Wilderness and Gunner's Alley (all one word on the web)