The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 2, 2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Wildcard

Glock 21, kabooms, and bad case support, oh my!

I have my eye on a brand new, SN HGZ***, glock 21. I want this gun. But before I put my money down and sin against JMB, I want to be confident that the 21 is a durable, lasting firearm. Glock 21 owners, What say you? Is the G21 more prone to bad failures than most glocks? I looked at the case support at the 6 o'clock position. It is less supported than my 1911's.
Old October 2, 2005, 01:40 PM   #2
DeltaWhiskey

Almost all of the Glock kaboom stories I have ever heard centered around the .40 caliber models and reloaded ammo and poor maintenance. That said, the Model 21 that I had was a robust, reliable weapon that didn't stay long in the shop that I traded it to.
Old October 2, 2005, 07:32 PM   #3
cyf7tkwl

I have 2 G21s, zero problems after at least 500 rounds through each. No malfunctions. No sign of worn parts (I detail strip after each range session).
Old October 2, 2005, 09:31 PM   #4
Zekewolf

Tens of thousands of rounds through two G21s. No boomers yet.
Old October 2, 2005, 10:00 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Dean Speir of the Gunzone owns and occasionally carries a Glock 21.
Old October 3, 2005, 01:25 AM   #6
jonathon

Theres a fellow on AR15.com beating the hell out of his G21 just for fun, and it still works.. even has posted videos

The "case support" issue is so blown out of proportion, drives me nuts to here it repeated in a contorted way. Most pistols will kaboom with BAD ammo, brass, or reloads. Glocks are more sensative to bad brass than other guns, but not by much. The reason is the chamber and the support at 6 o'clock is at the maximum end of the industry standard, though STILL WELL WITHIN SAFE TOLERANCES.

Most pistols based on Browning's Linkless Locking System(perhaps one of the most copied locking systems of all time) that feed JHP's well will lack some case support at the feed ramp and have a looser chamber. The Glock's are a bit more than most, but that is why the Glock will feed almost any bullet type. As I said before, it still perfectly safe as long as you use good ammo, good reloads, and keep an eye on your brass.

And since .45 auto is a fairly low pressure round, you should be fine
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old October 3, 2005, 10:59 AM   #7
liliysdad

Yeah, ask Portland PD how thwy like theirs. Since the ACP is a low pressure round, one would think KBs wouldnt be an issue...Like I said, look at Portland.
Old October 3, 2005, 11:17 AM   #8
buzz_knox

Quote:
Yeah, ask Portland PD how thwy like theirs. Since the ACP is a low pressure round, one would think KBs wouldnt be an issue...Like I said, look at Portland.
Portland's been awfully quiet about their problems for a while. Some suggest the test results didn't support their original statements.
Old October 3, 2005, 11:54 AM   #9
CobrayCommando

I thought it was found to be an issue of the Glock not fully going into battery (by less than a millimeter if I recall).
Old October 3, 2005, 11:55 AM   #10
Wildcard

Well, I went and bought it, brand new G21, 3rd gen. Will take it out to the range later today. If the unsupported barrel really gets to bothering me, I am sure you members will suggest a suitable aftermarket barrel with more case support.
Old October 3, 2005, 12:05 PM   #11
281 Quad Cam

The portland glock 21 issue seemed like alot of BS to me from the beginning. It was one city amidst an entire country or world using .45 calibre glock 21's that seemed to have any issues at all, and the news made it seem as though every single one of their pistols was kBing. It just plain didn't make any sense to me.... and I still haven't heard one other story in all these years of a Glock 21 having a significant failure outside of portland oregon (where 100% of them explode for some reason)
Old October 3, 2005, 12:25 PM   #12
azredhawk44

I've got a Glock21 and have had no problems with bulging cases from factory or reload ammo in either .45acp or .400 Corbon. The aftermarket barrel in .400 I have is better supported than the original glock barrel in .45, but I have feed problems as a result when I run with .400.

Between the two calibers I have put maybe 4000-5000 rounds thru this gun. I would suggest that you not load any +P .45 ammo yourself, and keep any hand loads well below SAAMI specs, but high enough to still run the slide. 6.0 gr Unique works well for me behind a Rainier 230gr RN or HP. (Please do not take this as a guarantee that the same load data will work in your gun).

Be careful not to overcrimp the cartridge mouth since it actually rests on the rim of the cartridge when properly in battery. When you begin loading for this gun, check every 5-10 cartridges that the gun goes into battery properly until your process for reloading is perfected (then still check).

Also, glock will never talk to you again if you reload for your gun. Consider your warranty null and void by shooting one reload thru it.

By the way, is anyone out there running .400 corbon in a G21? What brand barrel do you have and how is your feed reliability with 10rd or 13rd mags?
Old October 3, 2005, 01:06 PM   #13
jonathon

Quote:
If I remember right, Glock called them on bad ammo, and they didn't dispute it.

And.. if you knew anyone on the Portland PD.. you wouldn't be so surprised they had troubles with something so simple as a Glock.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old October 3, 2005, 01:38 PM   #14
MartinR

I traded one of my G21's, but the only problem I remember was a chipped extractor (probably caused by me dropping the slide on a loaded chamber). This was replaced for free by the Glock armorer at one of the Glock matches.
One of the magazines was ...fussy. (I think it simply needed the spring replaced).

It is my understanding that the G19 and G17 (9mm) are some of the most reliable handguns available. The other Glocks are pretty good, but if you want maximum reliability, stick to the full or compact 9mm's. (I carry a G19 on duty).
Old October 3, 2005, 03:29 PM   #15
Dead-Nuts-Zero

A question for MartinR,

Were you and/or others shooting reloaded ammo at the match where you had free replacement by the Glock armorer at one of the Glock matches?

I was just thinking about the Glock Warranty and how firm they are with it. If there were a repair issue directly related to bad ammo, I am sure it would be an issue. Glock, (I would think) has to realize that many competitions are shot with reloaded ammo and I would guess that they would be happy everytime a match winner was shooting with their products. I would also think they would rather the winners were shooting their gun and not a competitors gun regardless of the ammo used.

As for G21, I have never fired one, but I have about 1000 rds (Factory ammo) through my G23 with no problems. I intend to reload .40 ammo soon, and I am not worried about problems as long as I do what I need to do properly.
Old October 3, 2005, 05:11 PM   #16
Zekewolf

lillysdad: Do you have any idea at all regarding case support not having anything at all to do with the Portland G21 KBs? No, I didn't think so, as case support/Glock design had absolutely nothing to do with the problem. If you can't think for yourself, get Lilly to help you!
Old October 3, 2005, 05:44 PM   #17
PaleGreenHorse

Getting a Glock to Kaboom is as unlikely as getting struck by lighting. Glock has addressed the .40's lack of support in the 6 o'clock position and remedied the issue. The horror stories come few and far between and are a 90% result of poor handloading. Have fun with your G21.
Bulgarian Makarov, CZ-52
CZ-70, Polish P-64
Old October 3, 2005, 09:08 PM   #18
21CFA

Magazine follower-springs

How long will a 21-magazine with 2-rd extender stay in a fresh mode when fully packed? Should these springs be periodically replaced? What does Glock say ??
Old October 8, 2005, 01:48 AM   #19
Dead-Nuts-Zero

PaleGreenHorse...

I know you won't believe this but I know a guy who was struck by lightning.....TWO Times (about a year apart). And he lived! He was walking in a field going toward the barn and it knocked him down and was in bad shape for awhile. Next time he was working in a field driving a tractor on a research farm. This 2nd time it hit the hood of the tractor so maybe that don't count? Some of his co-workers were nearby both times and they all swear it's true. And yes he still works in the fields.

I hope he don't own any Glocks.....
Old October 8, 2005, 07:49 AM   #20
wingman

I don't own a Glock however I suspect Kabooms are caused by set back
and who would be most likely to rechamber same round often, (an opinion
here only) uniformed police. I reload 40 use only 155gr bullets, most are
mild loads and accurate. I agree with another poster most kabooms are
caused by the operator and of course lots of glocks out there.
Old October 8, 2005, 07:25 PM   #21
MTMilitiaman

My Glock 20 has comparitivaly similar case support as my brother's Springfield 1911. The 10mm is a higher pressure round than the .45 and I have no qualms with shooting some pretty hot stuff (Double Tap 180 grs at 1300 fps) through it. I am seriously considering a Glock 30 (compact .45) for CCW. I have no doubt that Glocks are tough, durable pistols.
Old October 9, 2005, 06:35 PM   #22
alecat

If your worried about it get a KMM or Barsto barrel they are supported in the 6 oclock postion and your groups will improve
Old October 9, 2005, 09:12 PM   #23
PaleGreenHorse

DN0- wow thats an unlucky fella, maybe I should change the chances. Ok here we go, getting a Glock to kaboom is less likely than getting poisen oak from a porcupine that rubbed your leg while standing in a fosselized dinosaur footprint under a full moon.
Bulgarian Makarov, CZ-52
CZ-70, Polish P-64