The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2005, 07:54 AM   #1
cdoc42

Popped primers

First time in 25 years I've seen this and I have no explanation. In a .257 Roberts, I used Varget 35.0gr behind a 117gr Sierra bullet. CCI 200 primers. I noted the powder only filled the case about 1/2 way. Fired primers clearly popped out of the pocket. Edges are rounded, no evidence of any flattening. Remington cases are once fired, noted on 2nd and third reloading. ANY THOUGHTS?
Old August 29, 2005, 09:13 AM   #2
Zekewolf

Try a powder that fills the case better.
Old August 29, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3
cdoc42

Any explanation for the popped primers that ties into the case not being filled?
Old August 29, 2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Foxman

My understanding is that the firing pin pushes cap and case forward, and the cap fires and may come back , then main charge fires and before case fully obturates the case head comes back a thou or so and reseats the primer cap. Tend s in your case to suggest maybe the case headspace is a bit short and case is going further forward before seating and not coming back.
How about using H 4831 at 44 grns will fill the case more and increase pressure a bit, may blow cases out a little too.
Old August 29, 2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

That's a classic indication of too low a pressure. As Foxman implied, the case is not being forced back to reseat the primer. Almost all primers will back out of the pocket a little and then reseat when the pressure drops allowing the case to release from the chamber wall. How much depends on the headspacing.

You'll see that much more often with revolvers and low pressure loads.

Add some powder or change the powder type to increase pressure a bit.

As an added thought, be sure to calibrate your powder scale to be sure you are getting the weight you think you are.
Old August 29, 2005, 11:00 PM   #6
cdoc42

Thanks all...........I knew there was a reason the half-full case bothered me but I could not put my finger on it. I'll look for another powder and I will use the recommendation given herein as well.
Old September 9, 2005, 09:48 AM   #7
cdoc42

Intersting addition to this thread. I fired Remington factory rounds in the .257 and saw the same thing : primers backed out, not flattened. Could it there is a space between the bolt face and brass case head? If it was headspace I would expect flattened primers............????
Old September 9, 2005, 04:14 PM   #8
griz

Something is way wrong. Primers should not fall out of factory ammo.

Improved chamber?
Wrong caliber? (25-06 versus 257 sort of thing)
I don't know. But whatever it is, find out instead of shooting it any more.