The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 2, 1999, 04:59 PM   #1
bradleyt

Is it possible to convert the rear sight on a Colt AR15 from A1 to A2? Is it desirable to do so?
Old August 2, 1999, 10:35 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Bradlyt, if I've learned anything in the past 24 years it's that anything is possible. I haven't done this particular job so I don't know what exactly may have to be done to switch them out but whether or not it is desirable would be a personal preference. If you feel the one sight gives you a better sight picture than the other I'm sure there is a smith somewhere who could make the modification. George
Old August 3, 1999, 08:39 AM   #3
artech

Actually, there isn't enough material in the upper receiver to alter it, you'd have to replace the upper. This is not a difficult job on the AR, but it does require a few special tools, which are fortunately not expensive. There is a military manual available free for the download at www.AR15.com, it shows the entire process in detail. The changeover would take about an hour if you hadn't done it before, about 2 minutes if you have. It really is very simple.

I myself like the A1, it is lighter and more robust, but if you do a lot of target shooting the A2 might be better suited for your needs. Installing an A2 aperture in the A1 receiver(a matter of driving out and reinstalling a single roll pin) gives you a "ghost ring" sight for close range and the same size small aperture for longer distance. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by artech (edited August 03, 1999).]