The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 17, 1999, 09:52 PM   #1
22man

I would like to cut down a couple of barrels but am wondering what kind of options I have for mounting another front sight? I am thinking of cutting down a Marlin .22 and a Ruger .22 barrel. Is there an effective way I could do this myself or should this be handled by competent gunsmiths only?

Thanks for any assistance!

22man
Old May 17, 1999, 10:32 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

22man, for a .22 you could easily epoxy the front sight on with a good product like JB Weld or Devcon. Both give enough working time so that you can make adjustments to ensure the sight is aligned properly. The problem you might run into is finding a sight with the right radius. If the barrels have any taper at all the radius will change as you move toward the receiver. What happens is, if you try to use the sight that was already on the barrel, you wind up with only the edges of the sight base touching the barrel. You could possibly use enough epoxy to "build up" or fill the void under the sight. You need to make a good measurement of the barrel diameter at the point where you plan to put the sight and then see a. if your old sight will work or b. what is available that will fit the barrel at that point. George
Old May 18, 1999, 01:00 AM   #3
James L

22man,
George gives good advice.
If your barrel is tapered, do some slow careful work on the edges of the curveture of the underside of the sight with a dremel or metal sandpaper/and dowel.
James L.