The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 12, 1998, 01:54 PM   #1
MAD DOG

I have recently acquired a rather pristine example of an Belgian FAL heavy barrel match
rifle.
It functions flawlessly, but the trigger is abyssmal. It is off the scale I use, but I would estimate it to be 10- 12 pounds or so.
On the plus side, it is very crisp when it finally lets off...

I like to do all of my own gun work, but have never dissected one of these before.
I am looking for suggestions or tips on doing a trigger job on the beast.
Thanks, Mad Dog

Old December 12, 1998, 03:41 PM   #2
Walt Welch

As the penguin marveled to himself about Batman, 'WHERE does he get all these marvelous toys?'

FYI, a new outfit is making the FN again. They convinced the ATF that the muzzle brake was just that, not a flash hider. Check American Rifleman. Walt
Old December 12, 1998, 04:13 PM   #3
MAD DOG

I got it done.
The problem was the extremely stiff trigger return spring. The other components were just fine, but this little beggar was strong enough to swap out for a Chevy truck front end suspension.
The removal of one and a half coils reduced the pressure required to release the trigger, and left it at an even 5 pounds. Still a little heavy, but I will tune it at the range with some more judicious removal of coilage.

Old December 12, 1998, 04:24 PM   #4
MAD DOG

The "new" outfit making the FAL is called
"D.S. Arms". They have been at it for several years now. I have seen and used their products, and can say without reservation that they are superb.
They also offer a lot of good quality surplus parts, Mags, and other for the FAL afficionado.
They currently have a 10 month backlog on rifle sales. They are well worth the wait .

Old December 13, 1998, 11:11 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

There is an FAL only site called the Internet Firearms Directory. Www.turbonet.net/newifd then access the Message Boards, then you can access the FAL board. Using the on-site search engine you can find out almost anything you would ever want to know about the FAL and clones. Another excellent site is at www.geocities.com/Area51/1234/index.html.This is the FAL Files. It has information and links to several excellent sources(including Gunplumbers Workbook).
Old December 13, 1998, 04:19 PM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I just visited the Arizona Response link on the Geocities address you posted. It sounds like a lot of good information for just a little money. Just the ticket for you do-it-yourselfers. George

------------------

Old December 14, 1998, 10:25 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The GunPlumbers video is excellent also. It's much better than the video put out by AGI. I have them both but personally I found the AGI tape to be almost not worth the price considering what I already knew about the FAL series. On the other hand the GunPlumbers video, though obviously done with a camcorder by the participants, shows a wealth of knowledge of the FAL series of weapons. He goes into detail on all three designs; metric,Inch and Israeli. The only negative is the quality of the recording. The content is superb.
Old December 23, 1998, 09:58 PM   #8
dundee

a few years ago I did just as you are doing.
I reduced the spring poundage and then polished the trigger with a stone. At he time I was concerned about polishing through the surface hardening but have put 500-600 rounds through it since then with no change in feel. Either I was careful enough not to go through the surface hardening or the harding info was BS.
Old December 31, 1998, 09:17 PM   #9
Bob Thompson

On the trigger reduction weight job by Mad Dog; How hard is it to disassemble the trigger and sear or do you even have to,to change or cut the trigger return spring. I would also like to say hello to all of the people posting here as this is my first posting.
Old January 1, 1999, 10:44 AM   #10
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Bob
Actually taking the lower receiver apart on an FAL is rather easy. The receiver can be field stripped without tools. There are pins that hold most parts in place. Pick up a FAL operators manual from mailorder, gunshow, gunshop etc. They run around $10 or so and tell everything you need to know on the care and function of the beloved FAL. If you need more detailed info, feel free to e-mail me and I'll be happy to attempt to answer in more detail.