The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old November 18, 2004, 05:52 PM   #1
PinnedAndRecessed

I cannot believe Dillon!

I've owned a Square Deal press for going on 10 years. I load only medium velocity straightwall pistol calibers so this thing is perfect for me.

I haven't had a lot of trouble mainly because the thing is just made so well. And whenever I've had trouble, Dillon did everything for me short of sending a repairman to my house.

Anyway, last week I came on this forum asking for advice about my primers dropping onto the floor instead of feeding into the priming device. It was Friday night and Dillon was closed so I couldn't call them until Monday.

Monday I called them and got a live person immediately. I can't stand phone trees so this was great. I told the guy my problem. He says it's the little caps on the end of the priming tube. He says he'll send me some more, asap. I asked if I could have some more for the small tube. "No problem", says he. I said the machine's 10 years old. No sweat. Lifetime warranty.

Then I said that another little piece broke about seven years ago and could I get a replacement. He said they don't make it anymore, but they'd send the improved version.

All that was Monday afternoon. Thursday afternoon I get a package with a whole new primer feed assembly, replacement parts, and even a magazine called "Shooting Illustrated." All at no charge.

I've got to tell you, with guys like this in the shooting sports, we can't lose! Thanx Dillon!
Old November 22, 2004, 10:00 PM   #2
Michaelm45

I've had a Dillon 550 for about 20 years and never had a problem.
I always hear Dillon takes of you. Glad to hear your story.
Old November 22, 2004, 11:50 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Yap, Dillon and Smith & Alexander are the most awesome gun-related companies I've dealt with.
Old December 2, 2004, 11:34 PM   #4
Hawgleg44

I've always had excellent experiences with Dillon, also. I own a SDB and two 550's (just got a spare on in trade). I dropped my live primers on the floor one time, under my reloading bench. After picking them up, I was standing up and hit my head on the spent primer cup on the bottom of my SDB, breaking the mounting arm.

I called Dillon to order another one. I told them what happened and they refused payment, covering it under warranty. They actually covered it when it was not a manufacturing defect, or worn part. If it was not for the contact with my big Polish head, it would have been fine for the life of the machine!

I will not buy any reloading presses except for Dillon for two reasons. Their customer support is the best in the business. But, most importantly, you rarely need them! Their products have worked flawlessly and accurately for me for hundreds of thousands of rounds, and counting.

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Will work for ammo.
Old December 7, 2004, 06:06 PM   #5
abelew

Sounds like a winning combo, now if I could only find the extra $ to get one
Old December 8, 2004, 12:26 AM   #6
Hawgleg44

If you shoot any amount, you can't afford not to reload. I've seen several Dillon reloaders for sale at reasonable prices on AR15.com. Great thing about it is even if you buy it used, it's covered under Dillon's warranty.

If you are only going to reload handgun ammo, the Square Deal is the way to go. A little quicker since it indexes the rounds automatically instead of you having to do it manually with the 550B.

I asked them about the speeds advertised in their catalogs. They claim the 550B reloads more ammo per hour than the Square deal. They could not offer any explanation for it, either. I know the hourly round count they advertise for the SDB is lower than what you can do. So, they must intentionally lower that so the more expensive 550B doesn't have a lower hourly rate than the cheaper SDB.

I don't know, they are both excellent presses.

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Will work for ammo.
Old August 1, 2005, 12:30 PM   #7
BC_USMC_81_90

Dillon

I bought my Dillon 550b second hand and they still treated me with that #1 customer service! Class act for sure!
Old August 4, 2005, 11:06 AM   #8
Wyo Cowboy

I first bought a SDB 12 years ago and had the thing paid for in savings over store bought in about 9 months. After 15,000 rounds I sent the SDB in for a check up. Dillon went through the SDB and replaced several parts that were JUST starting to show some wear. Cost... no charge. I've since upgraded to a 650XL and called Dillon twice, once for missing locator pins for a second caliber, and once for a broken indexer ring. Both times the rep at Dillon had the part set for shipping within seconds and I received it within 2 days.

Great people to deal with. Drop by their place at the north end of Scottsdale airport, Scottsdale AZ and get the cook's tour. Heck, if Mike Dillon is around he might give you a look into his aircraft hangar at the back. He's got some REALLY COOL toys.