The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 9, 2000, 11:03 AM   #1
Allen_Raiford

opinions please.
Old March 9, 2000, 01:10 PM   #2
jthuang

I think they're great holsters. I've never used his cowhide products, but his horsehide holsters are top-notch.

I have four Kramer holsters (MSP paddle, three pocket holsters), two mag pouches (one double pistol, one single pocket mag pouch) and two double-thickness horsehide gun belts. All of excellent quality, both in appearance and function.

My only complaints about Kramer holsters are the squeaking that new holsters can produce (a little Leather Lightning will fix that) and the prices. But like they say, buy quality stuff and you'll only cry once. Buy substandard stuff and you'll cry a lot more than that.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old March 9, 2000, 03:00 PM   #3
DAVE MOON

Excellent holsters. I've got a couple IWB's and a pocket holster in horsehide. Had 'em for years and they still show near zero wear and gun fit is still perfect. Also very comfortable, enough to go 16 hr days in a car (acid test for IWB). Wear 'em day in and day out.

Worth the $$$ (except for the pocket-$78!) The pocket holster is worth it if you're a uniformed cop or security officer and carry a back-up in your back pocket. But not much worth it for jeans, slacks or other everyday wear. I've seen 'em for $65 from Dillon's.

Also, make sure you got a good "gun" belt same size as the holster loops. That's the key to comfort and concealability. Mitch Rosen make the best belts (and mag pouches) I've seen, but he's even more expensive than Kramer. Gotta say they're worth it, though, and I'm not rich.
Old March 9, 2000, 04:14 PM   #4
Rex Feral

I like my Kramer IWB horsehide, but I really prefer my Wilson Combat Covert Companion. Unfortunately they don't make that model for my USP45 Compact, so I went with the Kramer for this particular gun.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.
Old March 9, 2000, 04:19 PM   #5
GI Loveguns

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allen_Raiford:
opinions please.[/quote]

I think Greg's holsters are quite functional, but his stitching needs some serious help-- at least the ones I've seen. Even the pictures in his ads have horrible-looking stitching. I'm probably biased on this subject, though, because I myself am a concealment holster maker who hand-stitches everything I make. I have been called "the most anal retentive perfectionist in the world" by some of my local LE buddies. They always come back for more gear, though. Just had 3 of 'em over here yesterday bringing me guns to put leather around. Kramer's holsters will serve you well, from what I've seen, but there is better gear out there.

------------------
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."Ecclesiastes 10:2
Old March 9, 2000, 04:52 PM   #6
Jeff OTMG

Kramer made good stuff when he was doing the work. Then he added a budget line in cow, then sold the company and just manages now. I have not seen the new stuff, but I hear that it is not as good as the old, how could it be, he is no longer making it. Mitch Rosen is the same way now, he set up a production facility.
Old March 10, 2000, 01:25 AM   #7

I have to agree that Kramers stuff isn't what it once was.

I have owned several of his IWB holsters in the past and have found them to be very solid, if a little rough around the edges.

The latest order I placed with Kramer was for his ankle holster. At $176.00 this is the most expensive holter that I've purchased to date.

I had order the rig for a Ruger SP-101, DAO with bobbed hammer. When the holster arrived I was disappointed to say the least. The dye job was one of the shoddiest that I've ever seen. It was very splotchy and uneven, my six year old son could have done better.

Since my SP-101 had a bobbed hammer it couldn't use a retaining strap, hence going with the Kramer which supposedly doesn't need one. However, I discovered that the holster wasn't molded closely enough to retain the weapon. The holster also had a spur of leather jutting out from the top which would cover the hammer, something that my gun didn't have. The only function that the spur served was to make a nice profile mark in the ankle of my pants.

The ankle strap was also much longer than it needed to be and stuck out from my ankle, continuely catching on my pants leg. Why did I keep this holster you ask? Because Kramer wouldn't take it back. They have a no return policy ("the customer accepts responsibility for all defects") which they take very seriously.

I now use an Alessi ankle rig which I find to be far superior at half the price. For standard belt holsters I go with Galco. I also find these to serve as well as the Kramers, at a lesser price as well.

Needless to say I won't be doing business with Kramer again in the future.
Old March 10, 2000, 01:52 PM   #8
Allen_Raiford

("the customer accepts responsibility for all defects")
[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?
I won't do any business with someone who won't stand behind their product.
Old March 11, 2000, 09:01 AM   #9
DAVE MOON

I gotta agree that once a maker "goes production", quality goes down and price goes up. All my Kramers are made by him except for the pocket.

Wow $176 for an ankle holster?!?!? I've got a Kramer ankle holster, paid $100. I don't use it anymore, but for an ankle holster, it's the most comfortable I'd ever used. I just got away from ankles, as the tactical consideration far outweighed the convienience, for me. For a back-up gun, tho, it's good. P.S.: I'd sell it for $50 (LH, mahogany horsehide, thumbbreak, S&W 36, very slight use)
Old March 13, 2000, 01:58 AM   #10
MMG

I recently bought a cowhide vertical scabbard. The holster is functionally fine. The finish is less than expected. It was a bit rough. I would not buy another. A buddy of mine has a Fist and I think looking at his Ill give Fist a try the next time
Old March 13, 2000, 11:31 PM   #11
Kingcreek

I just recieved a Kramer vertical(FBI forward cant) for my 5" 629 Classic today. Seems reasonably well made, well fitted, stitching OK, but
dye job sucks
I can live with it because it will see some hard use in the bush.