The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2005, 11:04 PM   #26
Kahrgo9

Yes, it's not hard to learn...

And it's very safe if you develop good habits at the loading bench. I read somewhere that it requires a special brand of nincompoopery to make reloading unsafe.

But whether it's worth the cost or not is something to think about. My experience (and I've been loading for 40 years) has been that loading is much more enjoyable if you have good equipment. Yes, $100 will get you started, but you'll soon want better equipment to speed up the process. So I'd bet you'll want to spend another $100 or more very quickly as you get familiar with things.

I guess everyone has their own "I-wish-there-were-a-better-way-to-do-this." Mine was priming the cases. After I finally got a hand priming tool (mine is by RCBS), I wondered how I ever did without it. And a turret press! Being able to change calibers you want to load by taking out a turret and putting in another one is heavenly! The dies stay in a turret, all set and adjusted, and you don't have to readjust anything when you change from the sizing die to the flaring die to the seating die (using handgun dies as the example). Come to think of it, you'll probably spend $200 on top of that first $100.

So, yes, reloading can be fun and rewarding, and I very, very seldom buy any factory ammo now. BUT, as you can figure for yourself, you have to shoot A LOT to make it worth the equipment investment.
Old July 20, 2005, 09:23 AM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

NO. Idiots can't.

Imbeciles and morons? Generally yes, they can.

If you have the an attention span capable of allowing you to drive safely over distances of more than a few hundred yards without taking stupid risks, yes, you certainly can load your own ammo.

All it takes is attention to detail, care, and the realization that if you don't pay attention and take care, you can ruin one of your guns.